Brigthness changes

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
orac

Brigthness changes

Post by orac »

I have been looking at a fly I found in a disused spider web. If i either expose correct or under expose in camera before inporting to helicon the white of the spider silk become over exposed. This happen with white flower too and result in a halow affect

this image had to be adjucted in PSE after to bring down the affect of the adjusted exposure after helicon and adjusted the images and stacked them
https://www.flickr.com/photos/orac008/14829672636/

adjust brightness is deslected in prefrences and was stacked in method c with radious set to 1. I normally just import the nef (nikon d7100) files after copying them to my hard drive.

I have just found that this does not happen to the same extent (it may happen a little if under exposed and photo shoped for correction after) if i convert to TIFF (heven't tryed amnything else yet) instead. It could get tedious having to convert a large stack before compiling them into the final image.
jimshirey

Re: Brigthness changes

Post by jimshirey »

i have had similar problems in the past. if you have lightroom, you can open the raw files, make adjustments, and export them to HF as tif or jpg files. if you do not have LR, you can use photoshop but with some extra steps.

put your raws in a separate folder, and create another separate folder that is empty. write an action that will read your raw files and render them into high quality jpgs. then use file/automate/batch to convert them with save into the empty folder. you could also create tif files, but they take up a lot of space and it doesn't often make any difference.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You are welcome to upload the stack (as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp-server/). It is difficult to understand what exactly causes the problem.
orac

Post by orac »

The raw files are nearly 1GB in size and would take a small eternity to upload from my rural connectiong that normally does not exceed 4mb/s.

Converting to tiff, or jpeg seem to stop the exposure alterations so will either just shoot jpeg or convert. until next week whem i can leave my system running over night when the net connection should operating at it highest speed
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It looks like RAW conversion crops highlights differently and this results in exposure variation. Helicon Focus can use different RAW modules for conversion and use different Hightlight cropping methods. I would recommend to experiment with them.
orac

Post by orac »

Would i be correct in assuming that is Edit>Prefrences>Intergration

Currently showing
Plugin path: C:\Users\Orac\Application Data\Adobe\Lightroom\Modules\HeliconFocus.lrplugin

any suggested location for obtaining different ones
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

This path only shows where plugin to LR is installed. Just for the case.

When you open RAW file with Helicon Focus directly (not from LR), you will see "RAW development settings" button under source image list. Open it to adjust RAW parameters.
orac

Post by orac »

I Dont have LR, but but PSE.

I will remove that link when i get some time and see if the button appears. I currently only hvae the add, remove and the little gear thinging which does not show and RAW info outside of the meta data
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Once you have RAW files added into Helicon Focus, you should see that button under Source image list:

http://www.heliconsoft.com/support/mms/21648881.html
orac

Post by orac »

Sorry for the delay, I had a hectic work schedule and needed to install new drives and a clean install of W7 before I could have a look.

I don't seem to have the button in question. I don't know if it make any difference but I have only purchased the basic option due to funds and the current time
Attachments
Helicon.jpg
Helicon.jpg (18.04 KiB) Viewed 14310 times
orac

Post by orac »

The resolved it, thanks stas
orac

Post by orac »

I have downloaded and installed the Nikon codec which seem to work lovely. Is there a way to set it as default, I can't see anything along those lines but I am most likely missing it.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The program remembers the last used codec for the file extension.
orac

Post by orac »

lovely job, using the Nikon codec seems to take a bit longer but there is no alteration in the brightness/contrast which I was were after.