Green metallic Halictid bee

Optical microscopes + digital photography
Charles Krebs

Green metallic Halictid bee

Post by Charles Krebs »

This is from a stack of 41 images. Photographed using a compound microscope with a low power objective.
Attachments
6001_6041sh1.jpg
6001_6041sh1.jpg (144.63 KiB) Viewed 27079 times
iamnemo

Post by iamnemo »

Beautiful Charles!
Artshot

Post by Artshot »

OMG, that is astounding! Up till now I thought this was just a cool little program, but this example blew me away!
TomMeeks

Post by TomMeeks »

I wonder how many times I will have to write on the blackboard...

I will not be jealous of Charles.
I will not be Jealous of Charles.
I will not be jealous of Charles.

Hmmm... it's going to take a LOT of chalk before THAT works...

Because I am VERY jealous of Charles!!!! LOL

What great work. Just SO nice.

OK... back to the blackboard.... sigh....
Dan Kozub

Post by Dan Kozub »

Tom,

Have you got your Zigview? You've promissed to beat Charles after you got new camera : ))
TomMeeks

Post by TomMeeks »

Dan Kozub wrote:Tom,

Have you got your Zigview? You've promissed to beat Charles after you got new camera : ))
:lol:

There is NO way that I'm going to even come close to beating Charles! The closest I'll come is just sitting here drooling over his images. But, I'll bet I'm MUCH better than he is at drooling! 8)

The Zigview FINALLY arrives tomorrow. I have a deadline to finish by the 2nd and after that I'll turn my attention to seeing if it's going to be hekpful or not. I sure hope so, it's expensive enough!

But, I'll have to make sure I don't use it just after viewing Charles Kreb's photos. I don't think it's waterproof.
Dan Kozub

Post by Dan Kozub »

I think lightening is the second most important point after camera choise.
Do you use LEDs? I've heard some microscopists use fibre to deliver light right to the subject
TomMeeks

Post by TomMeeks »

Dan Kozub wrote:I think lightening is the second most important point after camera choise.
Do you use LEDs? I've heard some microscopists use fibre to deliver light right to the subject
I'll be experimenting with LEDs, Macro Flash units and continuous lighting... usually in some combination. Since I'm working in a studio enviroment, combining sources, as long as the color temperature matches, is useful.
Ariel

Post by Ariel »

How did you DO THAT? With the color and all...
TomMeeks

Post by TomMeeks »

Sorry I didn't catch your question earlier. :oops:

Oddly enough, it's sometimes toughest to determine the color temperature of a camera's internal or external flash than it is to find the reported color temperature for other types of lighting. But, it's generally around 5500K-5600K.

Most of the lights I use for smaller subjects fall between 5000K and 6500K... which is the range comprising daylight sun. So, mixing the flash with the other lights is no more or less difficult than using the flash as fill for outdoor imaging. Mid-morning is generally 5000K (D50) and around noon the light would be in the 5500K (D65) range and an overcast sky might be 6500K or greater.

I simply look for 'full-spectrum' or 'daylight balanced' continuous lighting when combining it with a flash unit. While not EXACTLY the same color, it's usually close enough not to give me serious problems.
mireille

Post by mireille »

Hoooooooooooo I missed this shot :roll:

This is astounding :shock:
This is the most impressive and beautifull picture of an insect I have seen!

I will redirect :arrow: insects lovers here for viewing!
Congratulations for this wonderfull piece of documentary as well as art!
''Photographier c'est peindre avec la lumière''