Locked Image when Transferring over Network

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
RPMtl

Locked Image when Transferring over Network

Post by RPMtl »

I'm using Windows 7-64bit

I am not able to transfer the processed images over our studio network and am blocked with a message that I do not have permission to transfer it. The original camera images created by Helicon Remote transfer without any problem.

At first I was suspicious about HeliconFocus.exe running in the background after the app was closed and somehow preventing the file from being moved. But that issue is no longer occurring and the permissions issue remains. The ownership of that file is unlike the other images in the folder. I tried applying "Take Ownership" to the contents of the folder and that DID resolve the issue, but that's not a convenient workaround.

The SOLUTION to the problem was to create a folder on the hard disk OUTSIDE my User files (ie: not in the My Pictures folder), set that folder to Share on the network, and set that as the folder for HF to save its files to. That SOLVED the issue and all files created by HF no longer have any Permissions issues and transfer without problem over the network.

Using a folder outside of my User folders is a workaround I can easily live with.

Russell

I just tested HF v6.4.3 Pro on a second system to confirm this issue.

When HF is closed HeliconFocus.exe remains running in the background. Yesterday I was using it in the studio to photograph mineral samples and when I attempted to access and transfer the resulting Tiff from the studio shooting computer to my main work computer I was prevented from doing and received an insufficient privileges message from a Shared folder that ALWAYS works with everything else. I'm suspecting that the open HeliconFocus.exe component is somehow locking the files it created. I'll test this again when I have time to confirm if closing HeliconFocus.exe in the Task Manager will remove the lock on the files.

Is this a known issue, and why is HeliconFocus.exe still running after the app is closed when no HeliconFocus.exe service or other feature is loaded when the computer launches?

Thanks,
Russell
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Locked Image when Transferring over Network

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It's an error, and not one that we're aware of. Is there any specific action you perform in Helicon Focus after which it doesn't exit upon closing? I. e. does it occur if you launch it and exit right away? Or does it occur after rendering a stack? After retouching?
I've never seen it happen before, and unfortunately, I won't be able to fix this issue if I can't reproduce it on my PC.
RPMtl

Post by RPMtl »

I too have been unable to reproduce the part of the problem where Heliconfocus.exe remains running in the background after closing the app. That part of this issue should be ignored and I've deleted that issue that I previously posted.

What DOES occur is that Helicon Focus is not assigning appropriate ownership when saving the stacked image to a User folder. Helicon Remote captured image files are OK --- it's only the one that's created by HF that has the issue.

Russell
RPMtl

Post by RPMtl »

Here are two screen grabs of the permissions compared between the image file that Helicon Remote saves to disk and what Helicon Remote saves.

PermissionsExample1.jpg shows that the "Everyone" has been omitted when saving to a Users folder while it's properly included in PermissionsExample2.jpg where Helicon Remote has been configured to save the stacked result to a non-Users folder.
PermissionsExample1.jpg
PermissionsExample1.jpg (175.39 KiB) Viewed 7386 times
PermissionsExample2.jpg
PermissionsExample2.jpg (178.64 KiB) Viewed 7386 times
Russell
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I've tried saving files to different locations (inside and outside the Users folder) with both Remote and Focus, and result is always the same: http://i.imgur.com/F3AnNlY.jpg
I was not able to ever get Everyone included in the permissions, which I think is the correct behavior.
RPMtl

Post by RPMtl »

Stas Yatsenko wrote: I was not able to ever get Everyone included in the permissions, which I think is the correct behavior.
That would be default behaviour if the folder is not configured to include access for Everyone to that Shared folder. To allow easy access to the folder from other computers in the studio Everyone is added to the access permissions to the shared My Pictures folder. All computers connected to the office intranet can then access and transfer the images. "Everyone" needs to be added to the list of Groups and users when the Share folder is configured.

Helicon Focus is the only imaging processing app that I've found that removes the Everyone permission from the files it saves to a Shared folder inside the User files folder. Nikon Capture 2 and ControlMyNikon both work fine, as do any images resulting from batch processing using Adobe apps.

Creating a second Share folder outside the User files folder is a workaround that avoids the problem. But it is rather curious ...

Russell
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Right. I verified that one of my test folders DOES include "Everyone" permissions. So the issue (assuming it is an issue) is that the files don't receive the parent's permissions. Which is controlled by the "Enable inheritance" flag, which, apparently, has to be set manually (folders don't receive it by default): open the folder's properties -> Security tab -> Advanced -> press Enable inheritance. You should probably set the "Replace child object permissions..." option, too, for good measure.
RPMtl

Post by RPMtl »

Stas Yatsenko wrote: has to be set manually (folders don't receive it by default): open the folder's properties -> Security tab -> Advanced -> press Enable inheritance. You should probably set the "Replace child object permissions..." option, too, for good measure.
All the users with access to the Shared 'My Pictures' folder, including Everyone, have "Include Inheritable Permissions from this object's parent" enabled (always was). All the Helicon Remote image files in the folder it creates within the "My Pictures" folder transfer fine and "Everyone" can access it. Helicon Focus processed files that stored in that same folder are omitting Everyone in the users list.

I'll just set HF to save its files to a shared folder outside of the Users folder as that works without any problem.

I do not see any setting in the share setup that might correct the issue so I suggest the solution is to just not use any Users folder to save the processed files to if those files need to be shared over a network.

I have noticed another thread with the same issue, so I'm apparently not alone. No big deal - all's good.

Russell