Compatible with iPad?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
robneave99

Re: Compatible with iPad?

Post by robneave99 »

After trying unsuccessfully to get iPad to see my camera, I rushed and bought the overpriced Apple camera connector.

Now OS sees my camera, but Remote does not.

It is not good for lap-top or for operator to take lap-top into the bush to photograph the flowers. Sand in the computer and ticks on the operator will be the result.

When will cable-connect functionality be available for iPad please?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

As stated in the app's description in Apple Store, a camera with Wi-Fi support is required and only Wi-Fi connection is possible. Apple doesn't allow 3rd-party applications access USB, so only Apple's own apps can use USB (and that's what the camera connection kit is for). So unless this policy changes, wired connection will never be available on iPad / iPhone.
David Edge

Post by David Edge »

I don't think anybody has posted an answer to the "dropping out" problem - you may find that it's down to the setting of the standby timer on your camera.

On my D750, Custom Setting c2 Standby Timer set to No Limit cures that.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Good catch, thanks for the information.
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Stas, the spring flowers are just about coming out, and I was considering taking another crack at Helicon Remote and wonder if the problems I reported last year have been addressed in newer version, particularly the slow connection and the inability to read the iPad in bright light because of the grey on black fonts?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

No, sorry. We didn't update the user interface yet, and as for connection - it's unclear if that's even a software problem on our part or not.
Pbranly

Post by Pbranly »

Hi,
I just tried to install the applet on both Ipad and IPhone without any success to have my Nikon D750 recognised in Wifi while it is with the WMU applet

Any specific configuration somewhere ?

Philippe
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

1. Very important step: make sure no other camera-related software is running on the computer where you'll be using Helicon Remote. No official Nikon/Canon utility or anything else that could possibly communicate with the camera. It's best to uninstall Nikon WMY because it may be running in background.
2. Very important step: reset / clear all the Wi-Fi related settings in the camera body.
3. Setup the wi-fi connection in the camera, connect your device to the network hosted by the camera (or vice versa if you already have a network and want to connect the camera to it, e. g. in an office).
4. Tap Select a camera -> Add on iOS, or Tools -> Network cameras -> Add on Mac / Win / Android. Enter an arbitrary name, your camera's IP address (typically, but not necessarily, 192.168.1.1) and select your camera type (Nikon / Canon). Press Add to confirm. Now you have a camera entry to connect to under "Select a camera" button - tap it to connect, tap once again to disconnect.
JudyD

Post by JudyD »

I have a Canon 5D Mark III and I'm trying to connect it to my iPad to use Helicon Remote. I've read the forum and I understand my 5D Mark III does not have wi-fi support, so it can't connect wirelessly. Is there a way anyone has found to connect this camera, with a 3rd party app or anything else, to an iPad so we can use Helicon Remote?

Many Thanks,
Judy
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The only way you can use Helicon Remote with this camera on iPad is connecting it is via Canon WFT-E7 transmitter.