Problem Programming Helicon FB Tube

HenriW

Problem Programming Helicon FB Tube

Post by HenriW »

I don't seem to be able to program the helicon FB tube from my laptop. (I don't have a smartphone, just an old cell phone.) I checked the audio output on my laptop, and am able to hear the repeated sound if I don't connect the cable. I have tried several sound intensity settings.
The FB Tube is connected to my Canon 5DS camera and the EF 100 mm f 2.8 lens. The Helicon Focus Bracketing Tube Configurator software is set to:Camera "Canon" Lens "Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro" Aperture "8" Direction "to infinity" Recommended step "21" Suppress Focus "unchecked"
When I hold the IR Lamp 2 mm from the IR receiver there are no confirmation blinks from the green LED light. However when I release the shutter on the camera at any time there is a single green blink. I took some multiple exposure test pictures which were very poor once stacked in the Helicon Focus 6.8.0 stacking software. It appears the focus change increments are much too large. It also appears I am unable to program the Focus Bracketing Ring. I looked at your FAQ, and followed all the suggestions I could find.
Is there something I am missing?

Henri
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Problem Programming Helicon FB Tube

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Can you see the transmitter flash if viewed through a smartphone or other camera during configuration? Please note that such smartphone or other camera you use for this test should not have IR filter. Also please make sure that the volume is set to max and please keep in mind that the flashing will not be very bright.

Did you try both transmitters from the kit? If so, do both behave the same?

Do you have any other device available for a test, desktop or mobile?
HenriW

Post by HenriW »

Thanks Stas,

I was able to see the light flashes through the camera of an old smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S). I tried configuring the FB Tube again while mounted on a Canon 60D. The lens at the other end of the FB tube was the same Canon Macro Lens EF 100mm 1:2.8 USM. When mounting the lens with the FB Tube on the camera the green LED flashes once. The Focus Bracketing Tube Configurator software was set as before for this lens, Aperture 8, Direction To Infinity, Step 21. On the camera I made sure the aperture was set at f/8 as well. I tried all 3 Canon configuration options listed on the website, while holding the IR LED against the optical receiver on the FB tube as shown on the tube configuration picture. I clicked the send button on the software application, but I get no response from the Green LED above the optical receiver. I have tried this with the Live View Mode On as well as Off. I have also tried to cycle the Live View ON-OFF before triggering the optical configuration cycle. I am at a loss of what to try next.

Henri
HenriW

Post by HenriW »

Yes Both transmitters behave the same.
iwardlaw

Post by iwardlaw »

I am having the same problem with my Helicon FB tube purchased in January. It comes with a magnetic cable rather than a transmitter. Have tried updating the firmware and lens configuration using both an iPad and PC but the LED does not flash green to confirm the update is complete. Both the iPad and the PC count down the updates but no green flash from the tube.
RainerPhoto

Post by RainerPhoto »

Hello iwardlaw,
did you switch to LiveView on your camera. Without LiveView the data will not be send. So was my experience at the first use of Helicon FB Tube.
I was also confused, why the green LED will not blinking when sending data. Then i started LiveView mode an it works well.
Regards Rainer
MHamiltonVisuals

Post by MHamiltonVisuals »

RainerPhoto wrote: 07.03.2019 18:13 Hello iwardlaw,
did you switch to LiveView on your camera. Without LiveView the data will not be send. So was my experience at the first use of Helicon FB Tube.
I was also confused, why the green LED will not blinking when sending data. Then i started LiveView mode an it works well.
Regards Rainer
Can it only be used in live view? Is there any way to get it working without live view? I have a camera in which live view doesn't always work so it isn't ideal to depend on it.

-Matthew
Philadelphia
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We recommend to turn Live View on during tube configuration in order to make sure that the camera will not go to sleep mode before or during configuration, since in this case the tube will not be receiving power supply and will not be able to receive data. You can also half-press the shutter release button to 'wake' the camera up before or during configuration, however, Live View appears to be an easier and more reliable way to go. You don't have to turn Live View on during shooting.