Command Line options not available

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
NKnerr

Command Line options not available

Post by NKnerr »

Hi,

I am currently wanting to run Helicon Focus from the command line but there are several features that I need available to make it work as needed.
1: I need to be able to save the project file with associated files as you get when you use the GUI and go to >File>Save project menu. and type a "name.hproj"
2: I want to also specify saving BOTH tif & DNG files from the stack. Again As if you use the GUI and go to File>Save image menu and type a "name.dng"

I tried the command line version and got results that were not consistent with the "batch mode" version. I have been getting around this by simulating window clicks etc. but this does not consistently loop. We have many stacked images waiting to be processed. but need to save the project files so that we can come back to them and retouch them if needed. Also saving both versions tif & dng will allow us the option of doing post colour correction in Photoshop later on as we add scale bars etc. there.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nunz
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Command Line options not available

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Both are good suggestions, but implementing them would take us a while, especially saving multiple outputs for each stack, this was never intended and it's something that the command line mode should be designed around. I'll add it to our to-do list.

What do you mean by "results that were not consistent with the batch mode"?
NKnerr

Post by NKnerr »

Hi Stas,

Thanks for the quick reply. The main function we need is for us to be able to save the project file. I can easily call the command line several times to generate the different file types, ie. tif and DNG. The problem is that If we need to go back and retouch the stacked images in helicon focus, then we need a saved project. to re-open it later on. If you could add a flag as you did with the uncompressed tif, say -save-project: "filepath" . then expose the >file>save project call from the menu. Currently as I see it, It only takes one parameter: the file path to the project.
This generates 4 files:
The project file is a text file <xml>
A folder in the path that the project file is generated with the same name as the project containing 3 files:
depth_map.tiff
opacity_map.tiff
result.tiff

If you can't expose this whole function to save the project:
Could you just add a flag that generates the ".hproj" file seperately?
AND add a similar flag like the -dmap flag but for the opacity map. say -omap.

This would be enough for me to do the rest.

With respect to the inconsistencies. I have not looked in detail, but generating the DNG with the command line seemed to produce different colour results. I will do some more rigorous testing and let you know. I only did a few tests with the command line before scripting to use the GUI "batch process" mode.

PS: just to give you the context. I work for the National Research Collections Australian. We house some 20,000 insect type specimens. All of which need imaging. I am writing the code to help automate this as you can imagine we take all the images in high res etc. and managing all the large files is quite a task.

Thanks again in advance 8)

Nunz
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Are you using Helicon Focus on Windows or Mac? We've implemented your suggestions and are ready to send you a new beta version.
NKnerr

Post by NKnerr »

Hi Stas,

Awesome, I am using Windows. We have 2 licenses at the moment , just got a new camera rig so may get another one when the PC for it arrives. I have been running the command line v batch mode tests as well and have some examples to send you about how the results differ. I can send them over to you via our 'cloudstor/dropbox'. Shall I send it through to the support@heliconsoft.com?

PS: I am super keen to test the new command line version as it will make everything much more reliable. :D

Cheers,

Nunz
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Meanwhile, we're sending a download link for the new version of Helicon Focus to the e-mail you used for registering on the forums.