Helicon Remote: Trinamic Stepper Motor controller not being seen by application

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
dencohe

Helicon Remote: Trinamic Stepper Motor controller not being seen by application

Post by dencohe »

Hi,

I am currently running Helicon Remote 3.9.10 and am trying to get my Trinamic stepper motor controller board working with it but the app does not see it. I have verified on a windows machine that TMCL can see the controller and talk to it. I've tried installing the D2xx helper and drivers and nothing seems to change.

I'm not sure where to look next and what to debug to figure out why its not working. Any advice would be great.

System Information:

FTDI USB<->UART
UMFT230XB:
Product ID: 0x6015
Vendor ID: 0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
Version: 10.00
Serial Number: FTL5WWNV
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: FTDI
Location ID: 0x14530000 / 9

Trinamic Controller:
TMCM-110-42

Mac OS:
MacBook Pro 2017

Thanks
Catherine

Re: Helicon Remote: Trinamic Stepper Motor controller not being seen by application

Post by Catherine »

Did you install any FTDI drivers? Anything at all besides the D2XX helper? If you did, that's probably why it doesn't work.
dencohe

Re: Helicon Remote: Trinamic Stepper Motor controller not being seen by application

Post by dencohe »

Hi,

I have wiped all previously installed drivers and only installed the D2XX helper. The program cannot see the controller. Is there any ways to debug this and see why it cannot see the serial port?

Thanks,
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Please run this command in the Terminal and post its output:

ls /dev/{tty,cu}.*
dencohe

Post by dencohe »

Hi,

I decided to buy a new USB version of the stepper controller because I did not want to play around with FTDI drivers on my Mac anymore. I bought a PD57-1-1060-TMCL. It has a USB port and I reset the controller board in the TMCL-IDE on windows to factory defaults. It shows up on my Mac as the below. Helicon Focus still does not see it as a Trinamic driver.

Communication Device:

Product ID: 0x051a
Vendor ID: 0x16d0
Version: 1.10
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0x14530000 / 59
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 0
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

We have not tested that device, and possibly not this controller either. Is the virtual COM port created on your Mac? You can check it by executing the following command in the Terminal:

ls /dev/{tty,cu}.*

Best case scenario - we need to make changes to how Helicon Remote detects Trinamic controllers to support this device. Please send a bug report (menu - Help - Report a bug) from Helicon Remote while this device is connected, detected by Mac and powered on.