Stacking Issues

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Vapelyfe_coils

Stacking Issues

Post by Vapelyfe_coils »

I recently upgraded my camera lens setup from a canon T7 / tamron 90mm to canon 80d / canon 100mm L series . As always focus front to back. I usually stack to infinity... anyway I run it how I normally would thou when I get to helicon to render it goes thru and half my image is out of focus??? What's going on has anyone had this problem? Help would be greatly appreciated
Catherine

Re: Stacking Issues

Post by Catherine »

Something's wrong with your AF mode. Go to the camera body menu and turn image review/quick review mode; then turn live view on (while the camera is unplugged) and check the AF mode - 80D (and all other modern Canon cameras) have separate AF settings for LV and non-LV operation.
Vapelyfe_coils

Post by Vapelyfe_coils »

Have you ever heard of people having similar issues with canon 80D? I understand the af features are more advanced than previous models. I was unsure, grew quite frustrated and went and bought a brand new 80D thinking there was a malfunction with the camera 🤣 spent countless hours trying to get it to work seeing as it worked right off the bat with my t7 I assumed there was an issue as I couldnt for the life of me figure out why.

Once again I step thru from point a to point be at the back of my image, if I pay attention to the stack shots in progress it's almost like point b changes and the stack finishes in the middle rather than at the "end".

I will give this another shot when I get home from work today, gosh I hope I can figure this out. Such a pain!!
Vapelyfe_coils

Post by Vapelyfe_coils »

What is silent lv shoot? And does that play any part.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Vapelyfe_coils wrote: 29.05.2020 14:28 Have you ever heard of people having similar issues with canon 80D?
Not that I recall, but if someone complained about it and then the issue was resolved (e. g. by adjusting camera settings) I could forget it. There certainly were a couple cases where changing live view AF mode has fixed problems with similar symptoms. Since there was no problem on our end, I didn't make a point of memorizing the details, and I know for a fact a significant number of our customers have a 80D and don't experience problems with focus bracketing in Helicon Remote.
Vapelyfe_coils wrote: 30.05.2020 02:16 What is silent lv shoot? And does that play any part.
Here's an explanation of what it does. It's definitely worth checking to see if it affects the focusing problems.
Vapelyfe_coils

Post by Vapelyfe_coils »

Catherine's I really appreciate all of your help could you please in detail instruct me on my camera settings? The first time around I was unclear continued messing and have since sent back my used 80D for a brand new one hoping it would fix the issue , but the problem persists and I didnt have not one problem with my t7 so I have no trouble shooting knowledge. Thank you 😁 again I'm working with a brand new 80d and a brand new canon 100mm 2 8 L.
Vapelyfe_coils

Post by Vapelyfe_coils »

These are prior to stacking
Attachments
15911555466053418912287990914689.jpg
Point B
(3.18 MiB) Not downloaded yet
15911554936488130769501025753767.jpg
Point A
(3.44 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Vapelyfe_coils

Post by Vapelyfe_coils »

Here is prior to stack.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Sorry for the late reply.
Let's recap: the problem is that during set-up everything works correctly and focus responds to the <<<, <<, < / >, >>, >>> buttons properly, but when shooting the stack not all focus adjustments are being made properly, is that a correct description of the issue?

Take your camera and turn live view on (without remote control, just regular hand-held operation). Press the AF button to access the list of focus modes, scroll through the modes with the wheel controller. Select the "One-Shot AF" mode.
Now, while still in live view, change the AF zone pattern. Try every single option to see which one works properly with Helicon Remote. Refer to page 121 of this user manual PDF file for instructions on how to change the AF zone.

Also, before you do all that make sure your camera is set to photography live view mode, not movie mode. If it was in movie that could be why it doesn't work.