helicon remote vs stackshot controller for deep stacks?

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
waldenk

helicon remote vs stackshot controller for deep stacks?

Post by waldenk »

i am taking delivery shortly on a stackshot...
and plan on making stacks 100+ deep with my nikon z7 + laowa 25mm 2.5-5x macro.
i’m completely familiar with helicon focus and remote... tho not at all (yet) with stackshot HW and SW.
question:
am i better controlling my camera stepping and stack creation solely with the stackshot controller...or helicon remote? pros/cons?
thanks for anyone with experience/guidance.
waldenk

Re: helicon remote vs stackshot controller for deep stacks?

Post by waldenk »

update. despite multiple days of fiddling...
i cannot get my windows 10 system running helicon remote... to move the carriage on my stackshot.
stackshot controller LCD reads "PC control"...
i'm all wired up right...
i can manually fire off shots via helicon...
but i cannot set inpoints/outpoints...nor move the stackshot carriage vs helicon remote.
under "camera selection"...upper right...i've turned stackshot on...as well as z7... tried various combos there...
per the stackshot people, i've got the right/latest drivers...no firewall issues...
but nada.
dang carriage wont budge.
(and stackshot system works perfectly as standalone...when unconnected to helicon remote.)
if anyone has any experience or brilliant ideas...
i'm all ears.
thanks!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

This is not a problem I recognize. If Stackshot is detected by Helicon Remote and ticked with a check mark, as you've said it is, it should move. Please reprorduce the problem (connect everything up and turn it on, make sure Stackshot is ticked in Helicon Remote, press either of the <<< / >>> buttons, observe no response from Stackshot) and send a bug report (menu - Help - Report a bug).
waldenk

Post by waldenk »

will do, catherine.
thank you for the reply.
w
gluggo

Post by gluggo »

waldenk

I was wondering if you ever got your system to work. I too have stackshot with the X3 controller. I have not attempted to move the unit through Helicon Remote nor did I know it was possible. But I was wondering if you ever got it to work? Now that I know you can control the Cognisys controller I will have to try it. Thank you for asking the question in the first place. This is a great site. On my set up I was able to do all pictures with helicon remote and stacked them with no problems using helicon focus . But still learning to use all the different programs ect. So much to learn and so little time! :wink:
waldenk

Post by waldenk »

hi gluggo... i decided it was not necessary to use helicon remote on a laptop to control stackshot. instead i have using a camranger2 talking with an ipad pro.. so i can see exactly where my in/out points are on my stack..on a nice big ipad screen... and move the rail with the stackshot controller.