Question on shooting deep stacks with linear subjects

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
waldenk

Question on shooting deep stacks with linear subjects

Post by waldenk »

I'm curious if anyone on this forum has experience shooting deep stacks (several hundred images) with predominantly linear subjects...
i.e. no -crossing- lines (as in insect hair) but lots of small straight lines I'd like to keep straight.
My subject here is an extremely small computer chip. see attached.
I'm using HF method C1...and its fine...and I can certainly use the HF retouch tool to fix some of the artifacts I'm seeing...
But if there's a secret sauce combination of HF stacking method + associated parameters that anyone has found works especially well for a subject like this... I'd be very appreciative!
Thanks.
Chip.jpg
Chip.jpg (79.91 KiB) Viewed 6817 times
solde_heli

Re: Question on shooting deep stacks with linear subjects

Post by solde_heli »

Curiously, the best solution for the shinning objects is a very soft lighting. Create a totally tent light and then try to increase the hardness of lighting until you feel satisfied with the final image,

Nobody says that it will be esasy :lol:
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

So what are the artifacts that need to be addressed? The lines seem quite straight on the photo, but there is a lot of glare at the edges between bright and dark parts, is that what you're trying to fight?
waldenk

Post by waldenk »

hi catherine and solde i really appreciate your suggestions!
catherine: you are absolutely right. my lines -are- straight… HF is doing -its- job perfectly:)
solde: you are right, too. altho i diffuse my insect macro lighting very carefully, i need to do same with this subject. that will almost certainly eliminate (or sharply reduce) glare, and other lighting-related artifacts.
thanks again to you both.
—walden.