remote on ios tethered and wifi

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
rgdudley

remote on ios tethered and wifi

Post by rgdudley »

I am a newcomer to Helicon focus and Remote. I am using a Nikon D7500 and Tamron 90mm macro lens.

I was having problems using Helicon Remote on IOS (ipad & iphone) connected via wifi. I kept losing the connection after a short time... not sure of the cause. But I found here that I CAN NOW connect my ios devices using a cable.... shooting tethered with an ios device...it works!

This made me realize another problem shooting via wifi: Helicon remote uploads the image files to the ios device. These are big files and the wifi connection from the camera is not very fast. I think this was part of the reason I could not use HR via the wifi.

This makes me wonder... for shooting via wifi, or tethered, is it possible that the images can be stored in the camera rather than on the ios device? Then they could be downloaded later for processing with Helicon Focus etc. Is this possible ... option to store images in camera?

Richard
Catherine

Re: remote on ios tethered and wifi

Post by Catherine »

Hello Richard, yes, of course it's possible. Menu - Settings - Saving - RAW / JPEG download mode. Set it to "Leave in the camera".
As for the Wi-Fi disconnecting: this is a very difficult problem to troubleshoot, we have no idea what causes it. However, with the changes we've made in the recent updates, a couple customers have told us that they no longer experience loss of connection. So, give the latest version of the app a try with Wi-Fi if you want to work without a cable.
rgdudley

Post by rgdudley »

Thanks Catherine... Shortly after I posted that question I "discovered" the "leave on camera" options.

BTW very useful software.

Richard
rgdudley

Post by rgdudley »

Just a quick followup. I found that the loss of the WiFi connection to the camera may be due to iOS. It seems that my phone and iPad want to have me connected to the "best" WiFi ... which is one that has a good internet connection... which the camera WiFi does not.

This can be solved by telling iOS to not auto-connect to the other WiFi.

Update (20230302): Turning off 'auto-connect' does NOT always allow the connection to become established. You can also try on the iOS device "forget this network" (the camera wifi) THEN reconnect to it. This seems to work most of the time... BUT not always :?
Last edited by rgdudley on 02.03.2023 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Well done figuring it out, and thanks for sharing the solution, Richard! That is a very useful tip.