Delay when starting

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
EmKar

Delay when starting

Post by EmKar »

Dear people from HeliconSoft,

I hope you and your beloved ones are safe.

A month ago we had some software updates, one of them was updating Helicon Focus from v7 to v8.2.0. Since then, Helicon Focus takes about >6 seconds to start until the GUI pops up or stacking starts (in command line mode), strangely this is the case for both software versions. During this time period, a single CPU core (of an i7-8700k) seems to be completely busy, after that everything runs as expected. Even booting in safe mode does not speed up the Helicon Focus starting process, so I assume this is not related to some blocking service or similar.

On a second machine with similar hardware, Helicon Focus starts within the blink of an eye. To my best knowledge, both machines are running identical versions of Win10 incl. latest patches, as well as the same virus scanner (MS Defender) with identical settings.

Since I am running Helicon Focus in command line mode to stack several thousands stacks per day, the few seconds per start add up to a serious amount of time and substantially hamper our image processinge pipeline.

Do you have any idea on what might cause the starting delay or any advice on how to dig into this issue?

Best wishes,
Michael
Catherine

Re: Delay when starting

Post by Catherine »

Dear Michael, thank you for the kind words!

Try the following: deactivate Helicon Focus (by pressing Ctrl + Shift + D), then perform online registration with your activation code to restore the license, and then see if the slow startup problem is solved.
EmKar

Re: Delay when starting

Post by EmKar »

Dear Catherine,

yes, that did the trick, thank you very much :-)

Keep well and safe,
best wishes,
Michael