Nikon Z50 "not detected"

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
jimh12345

Nikon Z50 "not detected"

Post by jimh12345 »

Samsung S8, Nikon Z50, USB.

After a frustrating half-hour during which the camera was detected exactly once, I gave up. But I still wish I could use this app in the future.

No other apps running, tried starting app first, tried starting camera first, tried plugging/unplugging - you name it, I tried it. Sometimes the phone puts up a "Choose an app to use" dialog - but the only choices are Files and Gallery, not HR. Sometimes I get "Allow Helicon Focus to access this camera", I click Ok, and nothing happens. And every possible variation of that sequence.

One time, I actually did get the camera recognized but by the time I was ready to shoot, the connection was gone.

The weird thing is I did successfully use this app on this phone, once, a few months ago, with a Nikon Z6. But whatever the magic was, I can't repeat it.
Catherine

Re: Nikon Z50 "not detected"

Post by Catherine »

Sometimes the phone puts up a "Choose an app to use" dialog - but the only choices are Files and Gallery, not HR.
This dialog is handled by the Android system itself and not related to the apps. It should appear every time you plug the camera in and turn it on. If it doesn't, this indicates a problem not related to Helicon Remote (some other symptoms you've mentioned indicate that as well, but this one is the most prominent sign). Check your USB cable and the OTG adapter, replace them if possible, check for loose connections in the sockets.

Almost always such problems are caused by a conflict between Helicon Remote and some other app, it's worth triple-checking that no camera-related apps are running (e. g. Files, Gallery) even if you're sure that there are none. And always connect the camera first, close any pop-ups, and only then run Helicon Remote.

P. S. It is not listed in the "Choose an app" selector on purpose, specifically to avoid some scenarios of software conflicts.
jimh12345

Post by jimh12345 »

Thanks Catherine. I tried again today - cable is good (tried a couple), no other apps running. The phone obviously detects the camera, because sometimes it asks if I want to allow Helicon Focus to access a Z50. But nothing happens, the app still says "not connected". Tried several variations of app first, camera first, no luck.

Here's a new twist: I noticed that sometimes, the phone would vibrate during these sequences. After one such alert, I checked Notifications and saw one from Helicon Remote - tapped it, and suddenly HR was connected to the camera and displaying live view. What is that about? It's like the app is trying to ask for permission via a notification....
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

The notification simply means that Helicon Remote is running. Tapping the notification switches to Helicon Remote if it was in background, it does absolutely nothing else.
This is all very puzzling and not normal, I don't know why it's not working, sorry. USB can be flaky on Android, but rarely to this degree. One workaround is to use Wi-Fi connection instead of USB.
jimh12345

Post by jimh12345 »

Tapping the notification isn't too bad as a workaround, but I ran out of time on that shoot and had to find an alternative to the app. I'll try this next time and will post the results.
jimh12345

Post by jimh12345 »

Sorry to report that I could not find any reliably repeatable sequence. Sometimes I get the "Allow Helicon Focus to access the camera" prompt. Sometimes, after that, if I bring up HR I'll get the vibrating alert telling me I have a Notification. Sometimes, if I click that Notification, HR will suddenly start communicating with the camera. Or not. If I don't get all 3 of those things, it never works. And sometimes if I get all 3 it still doesn't work. And some times, it never works no matter how many things I try.

I can't think of anything unusual about my Android phone, or of any settings I've fiddled with that might be relevant. It has something to due with permissions, access, USB and "foreground". But I have no other clues.