Canon R7 and Android Helicon Remote

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Tinribs

Canon R7 and Android Helicon Remote

Post by Tinribs »

Annoying issue with the combination in the title. HR seems to randomly decide to change the picture quality on the camera without me knowing about it. For example this afternoon I was shooting stacks. I always shoot with the camera set to cRAW (a Canon compressed RAW format). On the the HR software this is displayed as RAW - HR is probably not yet aware of cRAW. The first 8 stacks were shot in cRAW as expected. The 9th stack was shot and I noticed a sudden unexpected reduction in available space on the SD card. I checked the picture quality and HR was showing that it had changed to RAW and L1 - the standard RAW files take up considerably more space than the cRAW plus each shot was also taking a high quality JPG shot as well. For some reason the only way to reset the quality settings is to disconnect WiFi and change the setting on the camera. I then have to close the HR software on the phone, turn WiFi back on and off again on the camera AND the phone and reconnect.
This appears to be random and not reliably repeatable. I'm wondering if this is a known issue or not?
Catherine

Re: Canon R7 and Android Helicon Remote

Post by Catherine »

We don't have any ideas how it could possibly happen mid-shoot. Please send a bug report (menu - Feedback - Report a bug) the next time it happens. Note: internet connection is required to send the report, so you may have to switch Wi-Fi to your regular network. But please do this without terminating the app, or the information about the problem will be lost.
We will also try to fix cRAW support using the information from your report.
Tinribs

Post by Tinribs »

Thanks Catherine - I saw this reply too late to send a bug report today when it happened again. This time the quality changed from cRAW to S1 (the lowest quality jpg option) twice during my shoot. I noticed the first time and changed it back then it did it again without me noticing until 70 odd shots into an 86 shot stack.
The next time it happens I will send in a report.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

The only function in Helicon Remote that changes image quality to S1 is "Preview". Don't use preview until we sort it out, maybe it fails to restore the original image format for some reason.
Tinribs

Post by Tinribs »

Thanks again,
I've never used the preview function to my knowledge.
Tinribs

Post by Tinribs »

Hi Catherine
I've sent in a couple of bug reports today. On the last one I mentioned that the act of turning on exposure simulation triggers the quality change. I've actually determined that the problem occurs when I change the correction factor for auto DOF.
This is reproducible on my camera 100% of the time.
Once the image quality has changed to S1 it is impossible to set it back without disconnecting the WiFi and closing HR.l then changing the setting on the camera itself.
Thanks
Mark P.
gallerylooper

Post by gallerylooper »

Thanks Catherine. When I examined the settings, HR said that it had switched to RAW and L1; the regular RAW files are far larger than the cRAW, and the camera was also recording a high-quality JPG with each photo. If you want to alter the camera's quality settings back to default, you'll need to turn off WiFi first. In order to rejoin, I had to exit the HR app ondriving directions my phone, toggle WiFi on and off on both the camera and the phone.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

gallerylooper wrote: 18.05.2023 11:40 Thanks Catherine. When I examined the settings, HR said that it had switched to RAW and L1; the regular RAW files are far larger than the cRAW, and the camera was also recording a high-quality JPG with each photo. If you want to alter the camera's quality settings back to default, you'll need to turn off WiFi first. In order to rejoin, I had to exit the HR app ondriving directions my phone, toggle WiFi on and off on both the camera and the phone.
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand, are you saying that cRAW was selected on the camera and Helicon Remote changed to RAW?
Which version of Helicon Remote do you currently have installed?