Improve 3D (Stereo) Outputs

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
shutterbug

Improve 3D (Stereo) Outputs

Post by shutterbug »

I really like the option of being able to make 3D images with my stacks - but I really hate the way Helicon 3D Viewer does it:
  • It defaults to weird angles and moving 3D models which are very hard (if not impossible) to orient correctly.

It doesn't allow for a "straight" 3D-Stereo output image so you end up with distorted images in a weird angle on a black background, which you have to manually correct and put back together in another image editor.

You don't get a preview of the stereo-image so you have to play around until you get a halfway decent result.

It shouldn't even be necessary to use Helicon 3D Viewer at all and instead allow for straight Stereo-outputs from Helicon Focus.
So I would suggest the following:

Either allow for direct 3D-Stereo outputs in Helicon Focus and/or give us a plain direct, straight view as a default option.
Catherine

Re: Improve 3D (Stereo) Outputs

Post by Catherine »

1. You can orient the model however you like by holding a mouse button (either left or right) and moving the mouse at the same time. Automatic rotation stops as soon as you click the mouse. You can also use the buttons and sliders on the right to adjust all kinds of parameters.
2. What do you mean by a "straight" 3D-Stereo output image? What kind of correction do you apply?
You can choose any color for the background.
3. The stereo image is generated by looking at the 3D model from two different points. Helicon Focus has no functionality to render 3D models, so the 3D viewer is quite required.
shutterbug

Post by shutterbug »

I know, but that's not quite what I'm looking for. I don't want to change an angle and distort the image.

When you move the 3d model around you inevitably distort the textures, shift stuff and it simply doesn't look right especially when the image is "rotated" as is automatically does when the model is opened and starts to twist and turn and shift and rotate automatically.

I'm suggesting that the 3d model is loaded with a "direct frontal view", without any automatic rotation, shift or continuous movement applied - it should look initially just like the stacked image would without any change in perspective at all.
From that "direct" flat view the stereo image can be rendered, this will give the most neutral look with the least amount of distortions.

And if you want a different angle you can simply change it but it makes sense to have the initial view without any rotation, pitch, yaw or roll applied.
Or at least to have that option.

I understand that people may want to play around with a 3d model or use it for other purposes etc - but for good 3d images from a stacked image it makes sense to have a "flat", direct, undistorted perspective as your starting point.
shutterbug

Post by shutterbug »

https://christoph-m-bieber.com/wp-conte ... ross_1.jpg

https://christoph-m-bieber.com/wp-conte ... ross_2.jpg

Here are two examples - you can still see a few texture distortions due to it being a 3d model but I really want to reduce them to an absolute minimum and that's very hard when the 3d model is pre-loaded in a weird angle and you have to crudely try to move it around in order to get it to look like the original stack.

Again - I know it has to move the camera left and right a few degrees to render a stereo image but that would't cause as many artefacts and distortions.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I understand, we'll look into it. I think that the glitches are inherent to the 3D model itself and not related to the amount of rotation, but we'll see.
shutterbug

Post by shutterbug »

Thank you!!

I fully understand that some glitches can't be avoided (even with a perfect depth map it will probably never be 100% perfect) but every little bit of improvement would be greatly appreciated! :))