"Camera Cannot Shoot" Error Message

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
JasonC

"Camera Cannot Shoot" Error Message

Post by JasonC »

Hello, new Helicon Remote user.

When I am using the left/right arrows to find focus, after 5-10 clicks the following dialogue box arrears:

"The camera cannot shoot. Unplug it from USB and press shutter release button to confirm that is indeed the case. Once you finx the problem and release button works, you can resume using Helicon Remote"

When I close the dialogue box without taking any action, the program resumes, until it eventually appears again. When I take no action, the shooting sequence starts without a problem.

I'm using a good quality brand new USB cable (tether tools), a Nikon D750 and a 105mm Nikon macro lens, tethered to a laptop with USB 3.0 connection.

Note: This is a reproducible issue that happens every time I set up the gear. Rebooting/restarting does not fix.

error helicon remote.PNG
error helicon remote.PNG (12.04 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
Catherine

Re: "Camera Cannot Shoot" Error Message

Post by Catherine »

Hello,

That's curious, send a bug report the next time it happens. There has to be some error condition that the camera reports, and it's odd that it clears itself (or can be ignored).
JasonC

Post by JasonC »

Hi Catherine,

I'll do a series of tests over the coming week to try and work through to a resolution. I'll put together a bug report once I've eliminated all the variables.

So far I've re-installed Helicon focus, tried it on two different computers, and the message persists. I also purchased an OTG adaptor to try this on my phone, and get the same error on the android version. I may also be able to borrow another Nikon D750 to run some tests.

The challenge in finding a solution here is that there is no actual issue or error. It's only the error message that interrupts my workflow, as it pops up often while I'm dialling in the 'A' & 'B' focus points.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Jason, thanks for your patience and willingness to study the problem. But I don't know if it's worth your time at this point, since, just as you said, we have absolutely no idea what this message is about. Please reproduce the message, send a bug report, and we'll see the error code that could at least give us a rough idea of what the camera is complaining about.
JasonC

Post by JasonC »

Catherine wrote: 15.03.2023 10:43 Hi Jason, thanks for your patience and willingness to study the problem. But I don't know if it's worth your time at this point, since, just as you said, we have absolutely no idea what this message is about. Please reproduce the message, send a bug report, and we'll see the error code that could at least give us a rough idea of what the camera is complaining about.
Thanks so much Catherine. I've been in discussions with Alex to do some further troubleshooting, and the outcome appears to be that the macro lens I'm using is not communicating aperture information to the camera properly. There's no 'fault' as such, it's simply a very old lens with some incompatibility issues.

The 'fix' I've found is to control the aperture manually, to avoid the error message occurring. It's not ideal, but a fairly easy workaround.

Thanks so much for all your help. The support from Helicon is awesome.