Sony A7 R3A – no Autofocus

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
flw11

Sony A7 R3A – no Autofocus

Post by flw11 »

Hi, I just bought a Sony Alpha7 R3A and I can connect it to Helicon Remote. I see the Live View and I can take and save pictures. However I cannot get the Autofocus to work. The Autofocus button on the upper left is greyed out. I tried every AF and MF mode on the camera with no success.

I also cannot adjust the focus with the arrows in the right menu and I cannot set point A and point B.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!
Catherine

Re: Sony A7 R3A – no Autofocus

Post by Catherine »

Hi,

Autofocus is not yet implemented for Sony cameras, so the AF button is always grayed out. But this does not affect focus bracketing.
Make sure your lens is set to AF and full range (if it has a range switch), and the camera is set to MF. Also, check Helicon Remote menu - Preferences - Sony - Focus step size, try "Big" step if the default "Small" doesn't seem to do anything - perhaps, it's just too small to see.
flw11

Post by flw11 »

Thanks for your fast response, Catherine. Sad to hear that the Autofocus is not implemented yet, but I can only assume what challenges there are to do that. I changed the Focus step size in the preferences to "big" and that did the trick. It was too small to see and the difference too small set the A and B points. All the best!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Glad to hear that! Thanks for letting us know what the problem was.
The way Sony cameras implement autofocus makes it very difficult to integrate into Helicon Remote, perhaps even impossible to do it as conveniently as it works with Nikon and Canon cameras. But it's on the to-do list.