Sony A1

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
GracieAllen

Re: Sony A1

Post by GracieAllen »

Just tried again with Still Img. Save Dest to "PC". Used straight Type-C to Type-C. Camera sees "PC". Helicon Remote SEES camera, displays exposure data. Everything is locked and no Live view.

Using USB-OTG cable, tablet does not see camera. No connection in Helicon Remote.

Submitted feedback while connected and while not connected using the USB-OTG.
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

Sending feedback failed. I'll try again, but this is essentially what's in the bug report...

Currently using straight Type-C to Type-C cable.

Just tried the newest overnight version.

SOME success. Tablet saw camera. Exposure in HR was live - could make changes to settings. Live view went live. Could take a picture - have no idea where it went - might be on camera, but settings in camera are to save to PC.

Cannot change focus settings. Cannot select points A or B.

On camera, at start, '-PC-' shows on the LCD, in yellow, blinking. After a few seconds it turns white, stops blinking and Live View clicks on.

Cannot test on a stack since I cannot change focus.

Will try a few more times, do a little playing, and see if anything changes.

BTW: The software is now complaining that I need a license to capture full res images. As far as I know I have a lifetime license. How do I tell Helicon Remote that?

FINALLY GOT A BUG REPORT TO GO, BUT HAD TO STRIP OUT ALL BUT "Some success" section. I've sent a reply to Alex with the information that's in here.
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

Sent another bug report, which went as far as I know. Tried with store on camera - nothing. Won't take picture, no Live View. Tried PC+Camera. Same thing. Can ONLY take a picture with destination set to PC only. Transmission time from camera to tablet is around 12 SECONDS.

ALSO, when camera connects, but (I believe) prior to Live View coming on, the camera takes a picture. Every time. Very disconcerting since HR FREEZES for the entire time the image is being transmitted.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Yes, it does need to take a picture every time it connects to the camera. The program doesn't literally freeze, but it's not yet ready to work so all the controls are greyed out and you just have to wait. Of course, it would be less of a nuisance if the file didn't take 12 seconds to transfer (and we hope to reduce this delay in the future, or at least look into it and find out why it's so slow).

Thanks for the reports, we will study them and reply by e-mail soon.
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

Hopefully y'all will find a way to keep the images on the camera. The tablet isn't set up to store huge quantities of data, and that's what the Alpha 1 specializes in!

And especially when using Helicon Remote in the field, the amount of time between shots is very important. If Helicon can't capture another image until the last one has been transferred, even a short stack of something like 20 or 30 images would take minutes.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

It would always take minutes: the shortest possible interval between shots is ~5 seconds, so 20 shots = 100 seconds = 1 m 40 s. But yes, we understand the need to address this.
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

It's working... As of yesterday, with the Alpha 1, I had Live View, could change exposure, and could focus. I shot a few test stacks and they got to the tablet.

I'm not sure what I did differently than the other day when I COULDN'T focus, but it's now working.

BTW: The old way, using an On-the-go cable, does not work for me. I'm using a straight, 6 foot, Type-C to Type-C cable that's fully wired.

CABLES MATTER... Using the Type-C to Type-C it's 9 seconds to the first shot, 25 seconds to the second, 42 to the third (last) and 59 til the series ends - when the progress bar disappears and control returns to the tablet. So, essentially 60 seconds for a 3 shot stack.

If I use a Type-A to Type-C with a Type-C adapter on the cable (so it's Type-C to Type-C) the numbers are 13 seconds to the first shot, 57 seconds to the second shot, 101 seconds to the third (last) shot, and 149 seconds til the series ends. So with a less-good cable it takes almost 50 seconds per shot.

Also, with a less-than-optimal cable, startup time takes FOREVER. It normally takes several seconds after the camera connects 'til the Live View comes on - somewhere in the 10-15 range. With a poor cable it has to take over a MINUTE... I think in the past, it MAY have been connecting, but I didn't let it sit long enough to get the Live View on and killed things before it finished connecting.

So, if you're going to use Helicon Remote on an Alpha 1, be sure and get a good, fully wired, Type-C Gen 1 or BETTER cable. I'm going to order a Type-C 3.2 cable with a 90 degree connector so it's a better fit on the tablet.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

The difference in cables is probably down to USB 3.0 vs 2.0 connection, but on the other hand, that speed (50 seconds per shot) is way too low even for USB 2.0, it should be 5x-10x faster. But since it is faster with a different cable, it's clearly not a plain issue in Helicon Remote (then it would always be slow).

Glad to hear the software is working for you now! Would, of course, love to know what it was that made it work. Please let us know if you discove something further.
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

I congratulate you and your whole bunch of people that have been working on this. You guys rock!

Yes, there are a couple little things I hope will get fixed as time goes on, but the biggest hurdle, at least I think, has been jumped.

I suspect the type-A to micro-B, USB2 cable, with an adapter, just doesn't have the wiring to work well. I HAVE a USB 3.1 Type-A to Type-C I can adapt to be Type-C to Type-C, but instead of messing with that I just ordered a pair of USB 3.2, Type-C to Type-C cables - one 6.6 feet and one 10 feet. That way I know they'll work without messing with adapters.

But, to anyone that's going to use Helicon Remote with ANY camera, I recommend using the fastest native cable that will fit your ports. I know when we tether the Nikon D850 to the laptop, using a USB3 Type-A to microB instead of a USB2 Type-A to microB makes a HUGE difference in how fast the images display on the monitor. So cables seem to matter a lot when you're shoving data and images between the camera and a computer or tablet.
vrinkstay

Post by vrinkstay »

I'll download the Beta version tonight so I have it available when I have time to play with it... Am I correct that as a tester I'll be able to see, download and install the Android version on my tablet from the Google store? Or do I have to get it on the tablet some other way?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

You are correct, just download the app from the Play Store as usual.