network issue

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
StevenAltman

network issue

Post by StevenAltman »

Hi

I tried setting up a network connection with my new camera which worked fine. I forgot, however, that the Live View on that camera turns off after a few minutes of inactivity. When Helicon alerted me that the connection had been lost I tried to get the camera to respond but it was essentially dead. Nothing worked. No Live View, no viewfinder, buttons not working. Tried the toggle button in Helicon for Live View and that did nothing. Tried turning the camera off and on a few times but that didn't work either. Tried reconnecting from Helicon. Nothing. Dead.

I decided to turn it off and just let it sit for a while (15 minutes) and then when I turned it back on, everything was back to normal. My questions are these:

What happened?
How do I prevent that from happening?
And if it does, what do I do to continue working without so much interruption?

Thanks for any information
Catherine

Re: network issue

Post by Catherine »

Hi,

We have never encountered such a problem. If you say the camera is "dead", the only logical explanation is that the battery died. No other possible reason comes to mind. I suspect you will a hard time replicating this issue with a freshly charged battery.
StevenAltman

Post by StevenAltman »

Hi,

Well, as I said, it wasn't dead. It revived about 15 minutes later. And the battery was fine.

I'm going to see what happens when I try the connection again. In the meantime, please tell me this: if Helicon reports that it has lost connection with the camera, what steps should be taken to reconnect?

Thanks for your help.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

StevenAltman wrote: 06.08.2020 01:20 Well, as I said, it wasn't dead. It revived about 15 minutes later.
I understood that. And did you try power-cycling it right away, before 15 minutes passed?
StevenAltman wrote: 06.08.2020 01:20if Helicon reports that it has lost connection with the camera, what steps should be taken to reconnect?
There could be different reasons for the lost connection, but as long as it wasn't caused by a dead battery, power-cycling the camera should do the trick in all cases.
StevenAltman

Post by StevenAltman »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've been using Helicon Remote all day today and it was operating perfectly. But now, within the last hour, Helicon keeps losing the connection to the camera. The camera - canon 5d mark iv - is reporting that it is on wi-fi, battery is charged, etc. Yet each time I connect with Helicon it sees the camera, I connect it and two minutes later I get the message from Helicon the camera is no longer connected. Happened about 5 times in a row.

Thanks for any information.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

We're not sure what causes this, sorry. I know that Helicon Remote users experience this from time to time but it never occurred with any of our cameras during testing so we're unable to study this issue.
Olivierbb

Post by Olivierbb »

I have the exact same issue with 5D Mark IV….in the middle of shooting, Helicon loose the connection with the camera. Maybe you can post the exact settings the camera should be set on in order to review if the issue is in it ?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Please send a bug report after the problem occurs (menu - Feedback on mobile devices, menu - Help - Report a bug on Windows / Mac).