Confirm Remote works with Sony A1/90 Macro G

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
stevedb321

Confirm Remote works with Sony A1/90 Macro G

Post by stevedb321 »

I recently got a Sony A1 with the 90 mm Sony Macro and was stunned to find that it has no built in focus stacking function! It appears that Helicon Remote might be the ticket for this camera (the A1 is not listed as supported but other posts in this forum indicate people have been successful using it.) I want to use a Macbook Pro M1 as the controlling computer.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions before I pop for the software? Should I take care as to what MacOS version I'm running? I have Capture 1 Pro (v22) running on this machine. I am interested in shooting jewelry for local designers here in Santa Cruz, where I live. I'm using this camera also for video (typically product is on a small turntable) because many clients are now asking for 360 degree views of their jewelry.

Thanks,

Steve DiBartolomeo
Westside Studio Images
Santa Cruz, CA
Catherine

Re: Confirm Remote works with Sony A1/90 Macro G

Post by Catherine »

Hello Steve,

Just download Helicon Remote from our website and give it a try, you can purchase the license later if it works well. The version of your macOS system is not a concern.
Note that the lens must be set to AF, and the camera should be set to MF and "PC Remote" mode activated.
stevedb321

Post by stevedb321 »

Thanks very much. I will try it out this week and let you know the results. Plus, assuming it works as it should, I'll post this to the SONY forums where a number of people are upset about the same lack of functionality in the A1 camera. It's a bit ironic since some users are noting that A7RIII and A7RIV do have a focus stacking function built in.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

@stevedb321,

The Sony A1 and Sony 90 F/2.8 macro is the exact setup I am using. Helicon Remote works with this combination.

The only issue I've been having is the write speed of the images from the camera to the tablet. I'm in the process of trying different cables to see if I can speed this up, but since my tablet only support USB 2.0 I'm not sure I can impact this much.

Dave
stevedb321

Post by stevedb321 »

Thanks for that info.
Question: Do you set the 90 mm f2.8 to manual or auto focus so that the Helicon Remote can control the focal point?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

The lens has to be in auto.