Rhododendron -- Flower at 1:5

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
richard1karash

Rhododendron -- Flower at 1:5

Post by richard1karash »

More on whether to move the camera, re-focus, or (on a bellows) move the rear standard.

This is one blossom of a Rhododendron at about 1:5. I don't see any troubling artifacts with any of the three approaches.

See below. All with 105mm Bellows Nikkor on bellows to Olympus e-330. The flower is 70mm wide; the pistil is 20-30mm in front of the petals.

It's really nice to have lots of depth-of-field!
Attachments
15 slices by moving the whole camera rig.  Slight artifact: a border of unsharp background paper around the outer edge of the flower (e.g. at 4 O'Clock position). Also out-of-focus border around whole image, most visible on RHS and LHS.
15 slices by moving the whole camera rig. Slight artifact: a border of unsharp background paper around the outer edge of the flower (e.g. at 4 O'Clock position). Also out-of-focus border around whole image, most visible on RHS and LHS.
MoveRig15Helicon800.jpg (105.1 KiB) Viewed 8870 times
Last edited by richard1karash on 19.06.2007 05:09, edited 1 time in total.
richard1karash

Post by richard1karash »

Slices by moving the rear standard, keeping the lens in the same position.
Attachments
5 slices by moving the rear standard, keeping the lens in the same position. At 1:5, the position of the rear standard is so sensitive that I could get only 5 slices; at higher magnifications >1:1, I think moving the rear standard will be the easiest way
5 slices by moving the rear standard, keeping the lens in the same position. At 1:5, the position of the rear standard is so sensitive that I could get only 5 slices; at higher magnifications >1:1, I think moving the rear standard will be the easiest way
MoveSensor5Helicon800a.jpg (105.84 KiB) Viewed 8867 times
richard1karash

Post by richard1karash »

Finally, slices by moving the lens, keeping same film plane. Except for the change in image size, differences in the last 5% at the edge, I don't see much difference in these. Thus, with camera motions small enough that the perspective doesn't change, it doesn't matter how you do the slices.
Attachments
18 slices by moving the lens, keeping same film plane. Water droplets on petals have evaporated, so the reflection highlights have changed slightly.
18 slices by moving the lens, keeping same film plane. Water droplets on petals have evaporated, so the reflection highlights have changed slightly.
MoveFocus18Helicon800.jpg (95.04 KiB) Viewed 8865 times
richard1karash

Rhododenron Flower

Post by richard1karash »

And, here's the view I like better.

Dan, your product Helicon Focus is just terrific.
Attachments
105mm Bellows Nikkor on Olympus e-330 with bellows. Full spectrum fluorescent lighting. 1/10 sec at f/8. Front petal of flower is a little soft, I could have used one more slice.
105mm Bellows Nikkor on Olympus e-330 with bellows. Full spectrum fluorescent lighting. 1/10 sec at f/8. Front petal of flower is a little soft, I could have used one more slice.
Rhododendron_6180415-Scr.jpg (91.08 KiB) Viewed 8862 times