Have to Force Quit

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
Post Reply
dansroka
Posts: 25
Joined: 21.10.2013 21:41

Have to Force Quit

Post by dansroka »

If I leave Helicon Focus running in the background for more than 10-15 minutes, the program freezes and I cannot quit it normally. I have to use "force quit" to quit it. Is there a fix for this bug?

Mac OS 13.6.7
Helicon Focus 8.2.11

Thanks!
User avatar
Catherine
Posts: 1859
Joined: 29.04.2019 23:38

Re: Have to Force Quit

Post by Catherine »

Please try the latest version of Helicon Focus: https://www.heliconsoft.com/downloads/HeliconFocus.dmg
dansroka
Posts: 25
Joined: 21.10.2013 21:41

Re: Have to Force Quit

Post by dansroka »

Thanks -- the "check for updates" command wasn't telling me about this new version. I'll try it out!
dansroka
Posts: 25
Joined: 21.10.2013 21:41

Re: Have to Force Quit

Post by dansroka »

I left the new version (v8.2.16) running for over 2 hours, and there was no freezing. Thanks!
User avatar
Catherine
Posts: 1859
Joined: 29.04.2019 23:38

Re: Have to Force Quit

Post by Catherine »

Glad to hear that, thanks for the confirmation!

Automatic updates are no longer possible on Mac since macOS 13, we need to rework that function, maybe show the available updates and a link for manual download. For now it just does nothing.
dansroka
Posts: 25
Joined: 21.10.2013 21:41

Re: Have to Force Quit

Post by dansroka »

Hi. I have since updated to Helicon Focus 8.3.7 (on MacOS 15.6.1), and this freezing has returned.

The program works as expected. But if I leave it open (after rendering a stack) for more than 5-10 minutes, it will freeze and be unresponsive, requiring a Force Quit
User avatar
Catherine
Posts: 1859
Joined: 29.04.2019 23:38

Re: Have to Force Quit

Post by Catherine »

Hi, thanks for letting us know, we'll see if we can reproduce and fix the issue. Meanwhile, you can use the version that's been working for you.
dansroka
Posts: 25
Joined: 21.10.2013 21:41

Re: Have to Force Quit

Post by dansroka »

Of course, once I mention it, it stops happening! I'll see if I can notice better when it happens, and report back.
dansroka
Posts: 25
Joined: 21.10.2013 21:41

Re: Have to Force Quit

Post by dansroka »

OK, it happened again. The app was open for a couple hours, and running a number of renders during that time -- working fine. But when I try to quit (using keycommand cmd-Q) I get the message in the dock "Application Not Responding". And I have to use Force Quit.

I re-opened the app, and used the menu "Contact Support" to send the logs, if that's at all helpful.
User avatar
Catherine
Posts: 1859
Joined: 29.04.2019 23:38

Re: Have to Force Quit

Post by Catherine »

Knowing that it's not constant is also useful information. So maybe it depends on some preconditions, or maybe it can happen at any time but with very low probability. The only thing certain is that we haven't heard about this issue from anyone else. Which doesn't mean it never happened, but no one contacted us about it.
dansroka
Posts: 25
Joined: 21.10.2013 21:41

Re: Have to Force Quit

Post by dansroka »

It doesn't prevent me from using the app, so that's good. I'll keep an eye out and see if I notice any patterns. Thanks!
Post Reply