Android for Remote??

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Harry_

Android for Remote??

Post by Harry_ »

Do you have any plans to let Helicon Remote run on Android? Otherwise, I'll get a Netbook w/Windows.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Android for Remote??

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Yes, we plan to make a version which will work with Android tablets with USB host port. Send a message to support@heliconsoft.com if you want to be first to beta test new version.
Harry_

Post by Harry_ »

I just found out that Fujitsu makes a 10" tablet w/Win7 and a USB port, so I don't need to wait on an Android port of your software.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Yep, some our users already use Helicon Remote on Windows netbooks. Tablets are on the way.

Post by Guest »

I was wondering what sort of tablet specifications you'd think would be required?

RAM, min processor and what resolution would be required.

I ask as I know from a friend that EOS remote utility would not run on their netbook at the netbooks default resolution so they had to lower it. I am not sure if this is a limitation of LiveView or just poor programming in EOS remote utility.

For me tablet would be better than a notebook in the field from the sheer point of portability and size, I already have enough storage on the camera memory. Plus you could make a pocket type bracket for it on the tripod for a tablet to slip into, not an easy thing to do with a notebook.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Any recent windows netbook or tablet will suffice. Minimum resolution is 1280x800. Though it is not a critical limitation.
vlnarav

Post by vlnarav »

I am using Helicon Remote on an Acer W500 Tablet PC (Windows 7) and it works like in my I7 Desktop PC, very very well.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for the update. Is there any usability problems with the tablet? Maybe buttons are not big enough?
vlnarav

Post by vlnarav »

Not at all, the buttons size is ok. The response time is very good. I can operate the software on the tablet using my fingers but for more precision I am using a capacitive stylus pen. The tablet comes with an small 32GB ssd (no so much space left for pictures after windows 7 takes what he needs) but I am using a 128 GB SDXC Flash Memory Card and the response time is very good). Live view is also working pretty well. The only caution is not related to the Helicon Software running in a tablet, is about Windows. Compared with Android or IOS, Windows is always doing things in the background. So to maximize performance (and battery life) you need to stop services you do not need and any other automatic jobs that can pop up just in the middle of your shooting session.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for this info. It can also be useful to other users.
BrianS

Post by BrianS »

I've just ordered a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet which will run Android 3.1 and 3.2, looking forward to using Helicon remote on on this rather than having to take the laptop. Have sent email to be on Beta testing
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks! I hope we will be able to send you a version in a few days.
kielichwina

Post by kielichwina »

Hi,
Great idea to use tablet as viewfinder on dslr!
I use Samsung galaxy note with Android 4.0.3 and I'll try to help testing it.
My camera is canon d500, firmware 1.1.0.

At the beginning I have some troubles with connection.
I tried to use OTG USB cable, but it doesn't connect.
Then I tried to connect with typical cable - nothing.
ICBM not sure about second cable so I can try to buy another one (I can't check it because it his point typical: micro USB to mini USB).

What type of cable should I use?

Regards
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I would appreciate if you send us log file (Helicon Remote menu \ Help \ Report a bug)