Photo Sharpness enhanced with Helicon Focus

The place to post and discuss images. And the ways to postprocess them.
vlnarav

Photo Sharpness enhanced with Helicon Focus

Post by vlnarav »

One of the advantages of using Helicon Focus beyond the Micro and Macro photograpy is the possibility to use the lens at their sharpest point we you are shooting normal size objects. Every lens have an optimal range of sharpness (from Ken Rockwell: Most lenses are their sharpest from two stops below maximum to about f/8). So if you try to shoot a wide object like the Orchid Oncidio on the following example, we need to use an small aperture to get the all object in focus and this may affect the sharpness and even produce diffraction.

[img]
Orchid Oncidio  Nikon D7000 Nikkor 28mm f3.5 Helicon Focus Helicon Remote
Orchid Oncidio Nikon D7000 Nikkor 28mm f3.5 Helicon Focus Helicon Remote
orchid oncidio helicon-1 small.jpg (248.53 KiB) Viewed 14283 times
[/img]
http://victor-naraveckis.smugmug.com/Fl ... 29_tFpG4qh

In this case I was able to use and f3.5 aperture on a Nikkor 28mm on an Nikon D7000.

Few more examples:
[img]
Orchid Phalaenopsis Aphorite  Nikon D7000 Nikkor 28mm f3.5 Helicon Focus Helicon Remote
Orchid Phalaenopsis Aphorite Nikon D7000 Nikkor 28mm f3.5 Helicon Focus Helicon Remote
orchid phalaneopsis aphrodite-1 small.jpg (231.1 KiB) Viewed 14283 times
[/img]
http://victor-naraveckis.smugmug.com/Fl ... 52_SSDPwCN

[img]
Orchid Phalaenopsis Aphorite  Nikon D7000 Nikkor 28mm f3.5 Helicon Focus Helicon Remote
Orchid Phalaenopsis Aphorite Nikon D7000 Nikkor 28mm f3.5 Helicon Focus Helicon Remote
orchid_phalaenopsis aphrodite_ flowers_ helicon focus small.jpg (210.53 KiB) Viewed 14283 times
[/img]
[urlhttp://victor-naraveckis.smugmug.com/Flowers/Flowers-Helicon-Naraveckis/19175936_dq2Wz4#1530326575_45h2bnc][/url]
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Photo Sharpness enhanced with Helicon Focus

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for these examples. We recommend to use the smallest aperture that gives resolution. That means that if you lens has the same sharpness at 1/5.6 and 1/8 it is better to use 1/8. Smaller aperture means larger DOF, smaller number of shots and last but not least, this minimizes optical artifacts when blurred foreground object masks background object.
dhoward

Post by dhoward »

I'm fascinated by the pictures you've made. Especially the last one with the orchids is great! I like to take pictures of flowers and flower arrangements too, although I'm not a pro yet.... I also have the problem that I often take the flower pictures when I'm out for a walk or in a hurry- not the best opportunity to get sharp pictures.. but I swear that I want to get better. I have a friend who's a florist in glasgow and I plan to visit him to take pictures of his flowers... I think that's a good idea :)
unlockiphonese

Post by unlockiphonese »

Find a subject that can be enhanced with an extensive depth of field. In fact, the Helicon Focus allows all photographers to capture hte images impossible even with huge view. But Helicon Soft's program will able produce much sharper result