Can I make it sharper

mgilvey

Can I make it sharper

Post by mgilvey »

I photograph plumbing fixtures for a client, chrome faucets, real expensive items for your kitchen and bathroom. I use Helicon focus with an 85mm Tilt Shift lens which is focussed manually. Been using this combo for about 3 years without ever asking if it could be any better? I think the images definitely look sharper because of the stepping but it still seems a bit soft Wondering if there is anything else I should do with the software.

OTHER INFO

I hand focus, about 8 steps for my subject.I've attached a screen capture for the setting I used. I don't think I've ever moved the. Are there better settings for a subject that is between 2-5 ft away, just talking off the cuff; I'm guessing you guys have settings for micro, vs 1ft, vs 4ft etc. That's what I'm getting at. What ƒ-stop are you using?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 3.16.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 3.16.51 PM.png (78.8 KiB) Viewed 16038 times
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Can I make it sharper

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I would suggest to use lent at it sweet spot aperture (f8 -f11) and consider Helicon FB Tube if you like to shoot stacks handheld.
mgilvey

Post by mgilvey »

Is the FB Tube for manual focus lenses? Is that what I understand? If so, why doesn't it state that in the product description?
mgilvey

Post by mgilvey »

Nevermind, I see it's for AF lenses. I have to shoot with at tilt/shift lens so I can adjust the perspective. I'll still have to do it manually.
MHamiltonVisuals

Post by MHamiltonVisuals »

I would definitely recommend shooting in the F8-F11 area in order to get the sharpest images. Then play with your shutter speed to account for the loss in light. I also saw someone recommend the Helicon FB Tube. I just used this the other day for the first time and expected to see a loss in image quality for sharpness while using it but was pleasantly surprised to not see anything. I would highly recommend!

-Matthew
Philadelphia