Lens focus stuck on f32

bazthelad

Lens focus stuck on f32

Post by bazthelad »

Since starting to use the FB ring, I have been having trouble with poor/non-existent stacking. I am using a Nikon 800E with Nikkor 105mm f2.8D lens.When I first tried to progam the tube, I clicked on the wrong lens i.e. the Nikkor 105mm f2.8G so I assume that is why the result is failure in that no focus shift seems to take place, even when the recommended step was altered to larger numbers.
I noticed my error when I decided to re-program the tube and duly entered the correct lens name (f2.8D). Then I found that the lens f-stop setting was on f32 and it will not move, on or off camera or tube, it is resolutely stuck on f32.
Live view shows a normal image but the resulting shots are black.
The camera set-up settings are correct - Lens AF switch - AF; live view mode on; camera focussing mode M; camera drive mode - continuous.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Catherine

Re: Lens focus stuck on f32

Post by Catherine »

The tube will work with a compatible lens even at default, no matter what lens you choose in the app. The lens you select affects the size of the step only, there's no conflict between the tube and the lens if you select a wrong one. This will only result in you setting a step size that may not be optimal for your lens and aperture.

There seems to be one major problem here - if I understand correctly, you've got an AF lens that does not have a built-in motor (while AF-S 105mm G does have one). In this case there's no way the tube can work with this lens. Please double-check that.
bazthelad

Post by bazthelad »

Thanks Catherine, you may well be right! I will check!
mrose

Post by mrose »

Yes the Tube sits behind the lens and controls it, not the camera, so you will need a lens with built in motor. Helicon Remote will work in this case though.
bazthelad

Post by bazthelad »

Thank you both for your help! I feel a lens upgrade coming on from D to G.