Is handheld focus bracketing possible?

TwoMetreBill

Is handheld focus bracketing possible?

Post by TwoMetreBill »

Currently using an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark 1 which does not shoot fast enough for handheld bracketing, at least when I try to stack with Lightroom/Photoshop. The individual images are sharp as there's no visible subject movement so my guess is that Photoshop just can't align them as I moved too much between shots. These are not macros, typically shooting from about 1:4 thru landscapes.

So 2 questions:

1. Can Helicon align and stack sharp images better than Photoshop? I did use the 2 step process of align and then stack which I needed even with a tripod with an electronic release. However the EM1 MK1 switches to the mechanical shutter when bracketing so shutter shock could have been affecting my results.

2. Is there a camera that shoots handheld focus bracketing fast enough for handheld? The Panasonic G9 (a 60 fps SAF mode camera) drops to under 5 fps with focus bracketing activated. The Fuji X-T3 seems to bracket at about the same rate. I've not found any accurate info on the performance of either the EM1 MK2 or the M1X but they do bracket with the eShutter so the results could be better.

Thanks,
Bill
strawbale

Re: Is handheld focus bracketing possible?

Post by strawbale »

No experience myself, but 'gardenersassistant' at DPR forum uses a G9 set at 6k photo (= video @30fps) in combination with Helicon Focus, with very good results.
Dresli

Re: Is handheld focus bracketing possible?

Post by Dresli »

These flowers are shot handheld with Canon 90D, using canons built in focus bracketing.
6 shots rendered with helicon focus.
_MG_0734.jpg
(349.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet