Nikon Z Series Beta
Posted: 19.02.2020 20:46
I received the Beta version which I thank you for.
I hope it's OK to create this new topic as there does not seem to be a Beta section on this Forum and the 'bug report' feature in the beta version doesn't offer any option to simply ask questions? If you prefer that these comments and questions be sent by email then please feel free to delete this post.
Installing the beta went smoothly and so far it's working fine with my Z7. I assume certain features will be added and/or improved upon before the release candidate.
Yesterday I needed to use it with my D800e and the beta version was causing problems. Unfortunately the beta installer overwrote Helicon Remote v3.9.10 as there is no option to create a separate install folder and simply uses/reuses :
C:\Program Files (x86)\Helicon Software\Helicon Remote
I restored v3.9.10 and then renamed the "Helicon Remote" install folder to "Helicon Remote_3.9.10". I then installed the beta, which recreates a new "Helicon Remote" folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Helicon Software\, created shortcuts to each version of HeliconFocus.exe on my desktop, and both load and appear (at first glance) to work. BUT I'll only know that they're both working properly when I start really using them.
I think it would be much better if an option was added to the Beta installer that allows a custom installation folder to be created so that the previous 'stable' version is not overwritten. The user could then still have access to a working version if problems arise with the beta.
Russell
I hope it's OK to create this new topic as there does not seem to be a Beta section on this Forum and the 'bug report' feature in the beta version doesn't offer any option to simply ask questions? If you prefer that these comments and questions be sent by email then please feel free to delete this post.
Installing the beta went smoothly and so far it's working fine with my Z7. I assume certain features will be added and/or improved upon before the release candidate.
Yesterday I needed to use it with my D800e and the beta version was causing problems. Unfortunately the beta installer overwrote Helicon Remote v3.9.10 as there is no option to create a separate install folder and simply uses/reuses :
C:\Program Files (x86)\Helicon Software\Helicon Remote
I restored v3.9.10 and then renamed the "Helicon Remote" install folder to "Helicon Remote_3.9.10". I then installed the beta, which recreates a new "Helicon Remote" folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Helicon Software\, created shortcuts to each version of HeliconFocus.exe on my desktop, and both load and appear (at first glance) to work. BUT I'll only know that they're both working properly when I start really using them.
I think it would be much better if an option was added to the Beta installer that allows a custom installation folder to be created so that the previous 'stable' version is not overwritten. The user could then still have access to a working version if problems arise with the beta.
Russell