Shooting the moon: Simple question

Optical microscopes + digital photography
waldenk

Shooting the moon: Simple question

Post by waldenk »

starting1990.jpg
(6.49 MiB) Not downloaded yet
advice please:) i am using helicon focus to stack multiple moon images into a single frame.
see attachment.

however i am finding that if the moons in the separate images are too -close- (i used a 2-minute inter-frame interval for the attached)... helicon focus tries to overlay all the moon images into a single moon image.

i've experimented a bit with the A/B/C methods, and the sliders...but not readily able to understand what's going on. i'd like to shoot a 1-min inter-frame interval, but not sure how to tell helicon to keep the moon images distinct.

suggestions? just operator error i hope? thanks!
BobStone

Re: Shooting the moon: Simple question

Post by BobStone »

Pardon me for jumping in ... since you have not had a reply.

Helicon's primary job is stacking for focus depth, not mere stacks. It has a panorama mode under the Edit menu that might work for you.

If you use Photoshop, selecting all images in your sequence and opening as layers with create a stack. You will have to change the blend mode of all but the bottom layer to 'Lighten'. (I'm working from memory but I think that is correct.)

Hope this helps!
waldenk

Re: Shooting the moon: Simple question

Post by waldenk »

hi bob,
thanks for jumping in...
yes, i realize that what i'm trying to do is outside the intended scope of what helicon is designed to do...and does extremely well:)
i just noticed another user successfully creating image stacks in this way, and thought i'd take it out for a spin.
and in fact, it works great in the limited test-cases i've tried.
i know photoshop offers similar capabilities...will go that route instead.
thanks for the reply!
w.