New Shooter Question - RAILS vs TUBES

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
PYXELMixer

New Shooter Question - RAILS vs TUBES

Post by PYXELMixer »

Hello Everyone...
I'm new to the higher end macro work and just purchased the software which I will test it over the next few days. My question is, which is best for really close work, a rail system, or tubes. I have a set of extension tubes but I want to get in closer on subjects and don't think the tubes and software alone, including Helicon Remote, will give the level of control needed. If I'm wrong, let me know but I'm thinking that I will need (want) a rail system however I am not ready to invest $500-600 into the higher end units.

Thanks for your assistance in advance
rb_photog

Re: New Shooter Question - RAILS vs TUBES

Post by rb_photog »

Hello Pyxelmixer.

My experience is that BOTH tubes and a rail are important for good work in macro. Here's my reasoning. Whenever you change the lens-to-image plane distance by either using the lens barrel, or extending the distance with tubes, there is a significant change in the image size once you approach or pass the threshold of 1:1 magnification. Using both allows you to set your camera up with the desired perspective, and approximate size in the viewfinder adjusting lens-to-image plane (film plane) distance with you camera stand or tripod. Then, you use your rail system to move the whole camera and lens through the desired depth of focus area, capturing as you go, without making much change in image size and maintaining the exact same viewing axis

Helicon Focus doesn't like huge shifts in size, or shifts in axis and has difficulty rendering a completely sharp image. You'll see "blurred" areas in the image unless you have images that conform to these two parameters. I've had to create using images of small objects, with up to 25 stacked images, and Helicon does a great job if you do what I've described. It's much easier to do this type of work with a monostand vs. using a tripod, P.S.

The attached sample image is a shopped composite of 3 objects shot separately using this method. They were shot w/ 2.3 : 1 mag, about 12 images stacked for each object.

rb
Attachments
MD3_composite_3devices.jpg
(523.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PYXELMixer

Re: New Shooter Question - RAILS vs TUBES

Post by PYXELMixer »

thanks VERY MUCH!! I just purchased the tube and took deliver of a piece of hardware that is close to a rail but not a true/conventional rail (if that makes sense) to test. I'm new to true macro, but very interested in it. Most of my work would be classified as closeup using flowers (lilies/roses) but I want to get closer where you can see the individual pollen balls on a Lillie or the bead of water on the rose petal, as an example.

Thanks again for the info!!

Dallas