Sony A1

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
GracieAllen

Re: Sony A1

Post by GracieAllen »

Sent Feedback/bug from tablet with minimal information.

Sony Alpha 1 with firmware 1.31. Tablet is Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 with Android 12.

Downloaded and installed 11/22/22 version 4.3.1.

Connected Type-C ports with USB-OTG cable. Helicon Remote says camera is not connected.
Tried with Helicon Remote on and turning on camera, and have tried with camera on and turning on Helicon Remote. Neither works.

Switched to a direct type-C to type-C cable.

With camera on, then starting Helicon Remote I get a popup that says “Allow Helicon Remote to access ILCE-1.” Answered to always allow. Selected OK. Nothing after that.

I can see camera name in exposure section (ILCE-1), but no visible settings. Cannot change settings in Helicon Remote. Helicon Remote settings do not change when the camera changes settings.

Helicon Remote says “Live View is off”. Have been unable to get Live View to come on.

Not sure where incompatibility is between the camera and Helicon Remote, or what settings need to be specifically set for them to work together.

I think I need specific instructions as to WHAT settings need to be configured on the camera, and what OTHER settings need to be configured to NOT interfere, such as Bluetooth remote and/or other network or other settings.

And are there any settings that need to be changed on the Android tablet?
pacecreds

Post by pacecreds »

I'll download the Beta version tonight so I have it available when I have time to play with it... Am I correct that as a tester I'll be able to see, download and install the Android version on my tablet from the Google store? Or do I have to get it on the tablet some other way?
panoramacharter.ltd

Catherine

Post by Catherine »

You'll need the latest version for Sony A1 which is not yet available on Google Play. Check your private messages on the forum (top right part of the screen) - I've sent you a download link for the APK file that you can download and install manually.
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

Catherine, if there's a new version since the 11/22/2022 version, I should try that. Can you send me the link if it's not on Google Play?

Last time I tried to use Helicon Remote I sent a bug report to support because it still wouldn't do anything...

I had the Alpha 1 in PC Remote, but nothing else was listed as being needed on the Alpha 1.

I never heard anything on what I sent from the tablet to support, which may mean what I sent never got anywhere.

Pacecreds, if you're using an Alpha 1, and you have success getting it to work, can you post it in here along with ANY changes you made to settings on the Alpha 1 to get it to work... AND, are you using a standard Type-C to Type-C cable, a USB-OTG cable, or something else?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

You most likely do need an OTG adapter on Android. We also don't know if any specific settings are required in the camera menu besides the "PC Remote" option, so please do share if you discover something.

And sorry for not replying to your inquiry. I'm sure we did get the report, and quite likely it was helpful in supporting the A1. Most likely, we were still working on it at the time and had nothing to offer at the moment, and by the time we did figure it out we forgot to reply. Either way - sorry for the silence.
Please find a link to the new version of the Android app in your private messages (top right part of the forum page).
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

Not a problem.

I've been trying both with and without the USB-OTG.

Unfortunately, the network area and other settings on the Alpha 1 are enough different than the A7 models I've seen that I'm concerned there's something hiding in amongst all the other junk in there that's causing the problem. And, of course, we should never take out the possibility of the "stupid human trick", for which I'm justifiably famous!
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

I just sent another bug report from the tablet.

I just installed Helicon Remote 4.4.0 on the Android Samsung S6 tablet.

Connected the Sony Alpha 1 using a USB-OTG cable. No connection in Helicon Remote.

Tablet knows the camera is there - Gallery comes up and displays images. When initially plugged in, the tablet asks if Helicon Remote should be able to access the camera (my wording may not be quite right). Selected OK.

LCD on the Alpha 1 says -PC- so it appears to know it's connect to SOMETHING.

Nothing in Helicon Remote. Tried turning camera on, then HR, nothing. Tried having HR on then connecting camera, nothing.

Switched to a Type-C to Type-C cable. Same result. Tablet appears to know camera is there, camera says "-PC-". Helicon Remote, nothing.
pompyjest

Post by pompyjest »

I'll download the Beta version tonight so I have it available when I have time to play with it... Am I correct that as a tester I'll be able to see, download and install the Android version on my tablet from the Google store? Or do I have to get it on the tablet some other way? t tv
hellodear.in
Last edited by pompyjest on 28.02.2023 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

We're working on updating the app in Google Play, but there are a few more changes we want to make before that. Please download and install the APK file via the link I'm sending you in a private message (check the top right part of the forums page).
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

Sadly, the last word from Alix in support was that they aren't sure why it's not working with the Alpha 1. It's a new camera to them, and it could be camera settings or something in Android (or both). Either way, at this moment I'm not able to get the Android 12 Galaxy tablet and Alpha 1 to work with Helicon Remote.

I've gotten it to the point where it appears to SEE the camera - you can't have ANYTHING else talking to the USB connection, like Gallery or any of the other things that want to come up and run when you plug the camera in. "ILCE-1" shows up, and I can see the exposure settings set in the camera. But, Live view doesn't come on and everything is inoperative, can't change anything.

You other folks that are trying Helicon Remote with a Sony Alpha 1 - if you find the combination that works with an android phone or tablet, please put your suggestions, solutions, ideas, success stories in here, 'cause it's a big PITA trying to do focus stacking with a wireless remote.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I have successfully used Helicon Remote on Android to connect using an OTG Adapter to the Sony A1 running 1.32 firmware.

I have also successfully taken several focus stack sets of images. However, I have not been able to get the images to save locally to the SD cards in the camera even though I have all the Saving options set to save on camera.

The Sony A1 RAW files are 100 MB each and it takes so much time for the transfer of the images from capture to the Android device. I have reviewed what I can find in the forum and see that other Sony users have had the issue. Has there been any progress on getting the save to camera to work?

I think this would speed up the workflow extensively?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Yes, we have not figured out how to save the images to the camera's memory card with Sony cameras, and we're not sure it's even possible at all. I think Imaging Edge doesn't have such an option either? Although we checked with our A7R3, but we do not have A7R4 or A1 to try, it's quite possible that R3 can't do it but more modern models can.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I believe it is possible to save the images to the A1's memory cards only. I say this because the camera itself has the following Menu item for the PC Remote Setting:
Still Img. Save Dest.:
Sets whether or not to save still images to both the camera and the computer during PC Remote shooting. ([PC Only]/[PC+Camera]/[Camera Only])

The URL to this page is https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2040/v1/ ... c%20remote#

I experimented with this setting, and Live View does not work when the camera is set to Camera Only. Also even though the camera's settings (F/Stop, SS, etc. can be seen in Helicon Remote, all the options are greyed out.

With either PC Only or PC+Camera the Live View connects, but then the time it takes to transfer an image to the Android device is long. With the setting set to PC+Camera, the saving indication to the camera's memory cards on the camera pulses until the transfer to the Android device is complete.
Last edited by DaveF on 22.05.2023 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Yes, indeed, the presence of these options does confirm that it should be possible, thanks for pointing it out.
In the meantime, USB 3.0 connection would likely help with transfer times, but only the higher-end Android devices support it.
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

OK, I"m back from wandering around since February... Is there a new beta version or has Helicon Remote been released? If in Beta, can you send me the link and I'll download and try it again.