Sony A1

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Marc Stone

Re: Sony A1

Post by Marc Stone »

Hi Catherine,

I am on Windows 10 Pro 21h2, I downloaded the beta version 4.2.1 w from the website.
Marc Stone

Post by Marc Stone »

Hi Catherine,

I uninstalled image edge from sony and Remote now detects the camera, but I still can get it to take a photo or stack focus is this normal?

Thank you
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hello Marc,

The version 4.2.1 is not suited for Sony A1, please find a link to the newer version that does work with A1 in a private message (fin the "Private messages" button at the top right of this page). We still need a little bit of time to polish it before it can go on the website.
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

I just looked in the Private Messages and I have zero. Where do I find the information to get whatever version will work with the Alpha 1 and get it loaded on an Android tablet?

And for the connection am I going into the USB2 micro-B port or the USB-C port on the Alpha 1?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

GracieAllen wrote: 10.07.2022 17:18 I just looked in the Private Messages and I have zero.
This is because a private message is only visible to the user it was sent to. Please check the private messages again, I've sent you a link to the APK file that you can download and install on your tablet.
We will upload the new version to the Play Store soon, we want to do some more work and some more testing before that.
slutsteg

Post by slutsteg »

4.2.5 on iOS is the latest I could find but the changelog don’t say anything about a1. From what version is a1 support added?

How can you connect the a1 via usb or wif?

Will focus bracketing work?

Can I try it on iOS before I spend 50 euro?
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

I’m currently using a Sony Alpha 1 with firmware 1.3.

The Android tablet is running Android 12 and UI 4.1.

I’ve downloaded Helicon Remote 4.2.5.

I’ve attempted to connect the tablet (Type-C) directly to the Alpha 1 Type-C port. Nothing.
I’ve attempted to connect the tablet (Type-C) through an adapter to a Type-A to USB2 micro B and connect it to the Alpha 1 USB2 port. Nothing.
The Type-C to Type-A female to Type-A - USB2 micro B was how I did this on old Nikon cameras (D810) for a number of years, but this is my first attempt with the Sony.

Which port on the Alpha 1 should I be using, and what do I need to do to the camera or the tablet to get the Helicon Remote software to see the Alpha 1 using the USB connection? Are there settings on either the Android tablet or the Alpha 1 that need to be configured specifically for the USB connection to work?

OR, worst case, do I HAVE to connect wirelessly? If so, what do I need to do on the Alpha 1 and the Android tablet for that to work?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

You don't have to connect wirelessly, and in fact, we do not support Wi-Fi connection with Sony cameras.
You do need the USB OTG adapter for your phone (USB C to A female) and then a USB A-C cable into the type C port on the Sony. There may be some USB settings in the camera, we're not sure since we don't have this model. Here are the necessary settings for Sony A7R3:
- Menu-Setup-USB Connection: PC Remote
- Menu-Setup-USB LUN Setting: Single
- Px. Shift Multi Shooting - OFF (not related to USB connectivity, but has to be turned off until we figure out how to support it).
And Wi-Fi must be off.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

slutsteg wrote: 15.07.2022 01:30 4.2.5 on iOS is the latest I could find but the changelog don’t say anything about a1. From what version is a1 support added?

How can you connect the a1 via usb or wif?

Will focus bracketing work?

Can I try it on iOS before I spend 50 euro?
The current iOS version should be good for A1. USB connection only, please see the connection instructions in my previous reply.
Focus bracketing should work, it's the whole point of Helicon Remote. And yes, please do try before you buy - we will be happy if you decide to purchase the app, but only after it works flawlessly. If you encounter any problems, let us know by sending a bug report (menu - Feedback).
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

I’m not sure if this will help or not, but the Alpha 1 looks like this:
Network
----Smartphone Connect
---------Smartphone Connection Off/On (set Off)
----Transfer/Remote
--------FTP Transfer Function Off/On (set Off)
--------PC Remote Function
-------------PC Remote Off/On (set On)
-------------PC Remote Connect Method USB, Wired LAN, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi Access Point (set USB)
-------------Connect without Pairing Enable/Disable (set Enable)
--------Wi-Fi - I don't see anything that specifically turns Wi-Fi on and off
--------------WPS Push
--------------Access Point Set
--------------Wi-Fi Frequency Band
--------------Display Wi-Fi Info
--------------SSID/PW Reset
Setup
----USB
---------USB Connection Auto, Mass Storage, MTP (default Auto)
---------USB LUN Setting Multi, Single (set to Single)

USB Connection is greyed-out when PC Remote is turned On

I'm using a USB-OTG Type-C > Female A into a Type-A to Type C

Not connection, no indication the tablet sees the camera. Has anyone gotten Helicon Remote to work or even connect to the Alpha 1?
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

I found a pointer to a different tool, and for the Alpha 1 they specify
Aperture Mode
EV 0
USB Power Supply Off
Exposure Step to .3 EV
Network>Transfer/Remote>PC Remote Function Make sure this is ON
PC Remote Cnct Method USB
Network>Ctrl w/Smartphone Off -- I'm not sure what this is doing. If the camera is in PC remote, the whole Smartphone Connection is greyed out. And, there's NO "Ctrl w/Smartphone" anywhere in ANY menu that I've found.

In any case, I've tried everything I can think of, finally doing an uninstall of Helicon Remote and an ATTEMPT to re-install it. Android 12 throws a fit because the software is from an unknown source and it won't let it install. I've FOUND the security setting to "Uninstall unknown app", but even selecting THAT won't let it install. I presume the first time, when I DID get it installed was because there was already a version on the tablet.

The last reply has been sitting for 5 days with no responses, so I presume none of us users have been successful getting the test version to work on the Alpha 1. If I'm wrong, I need someone to provide detailed instructions 'cause I can't get the thing to even see the connection at this point.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Sorry, we don't always check the forum often (not when we're busy processing direct support requests).
Only the USB connection is supported, so all the network options are irrelevant. It is important to turn Wi-Fi OFF, though.
MTP / Single for the USB settings.

Install the latest version of Helicon Remote from Google Play. Make sure you're NOT participating in the beta program (if it says "Leave the beta" below the app description - click this button to leave and switch to the "normal" version). After installing, check the version number in menu - About. The new version is 4.2.6 and it should work with A1. But you may also get the old version 3.9.11, let me know if that's the case. This is because we're doing gradual rollout of the new version, currently 50% of the users are getting it and there's no way to tell which half you fall into.

If you do get 4.2.6 and the camera is still not detected, send a bug report while the camera is plugged in and turned on (menu - Feedback - Report a bug).
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

I'll try to get it on today. Doesn't mean I WON'T make a complete mess of it, but I'll give it a shot!

I generally try NOT to do "formal" support requests because I don't want to waste the support people or engineers' time on stuff I can usually get an answer here from someone. BUT, for this Sony rollout and all the follow-up things that'll need chasing, I can go directly to support if that's more efficient.

Thanks again to you and all your other folks for continuing working on this while in the midst of all the chaos going on there.
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

FINALLY had a chance to install the software.
Installed the software from Google Play - I got 4.3.0

There was no option as far as leave the beta. It just installed 4.3.0. And told me it was an unregistered, trial version.

In any case, it still doesn't work. I've tried a half dozen different cables and two different USB OTG cables, and it just keeps telling me it doesn't "recognize" the cable.

I"ll also send this directly to support so it gets seen sooner.
GracieAllen

Post by GracieAllen »

It appears there's been no activity in this topic since August.

Sony Alpha 1, firmware 1.31
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 running Android 12.
Tablet has successfully worked with Helicon Remote (3.9?) and Nikon D850 in the past. Same USB-OTG cable. No problem.
Now using Sony Alpha 1, and want to use Helicon Remote with this camera.

I just downloaded and installed Helicon Remote 4.3.1 on the tablet.

Connected USB-OTG (Type-C to Type-A output) to tablet and USB-3, Type-A to Type-C cable to camera.

Started Helicon Remote and camera does not connect.

On the camera, went into the menu and set:
Network>Smartphone Connect>Smartphone Connection = OFF
Network>Transfer/Remote>PC Remote Function>PC Remote = ON
Network>Transfer/Remote>PC Remote Function>PC Remote Cnct Method= USB
Network>Transfer/Remote>PC Remote Function>Connect Without Pairing=Enable (also tried Disable)
Network>Wi-Fi has NO On/Off.

Went into Network>Network Option>Airplane Mode and turned that ON. This FINALLY got SOME kind of connection. Tablet now says Live View is OFF. On camera, Live View is ON. No Live View on Tablet.

After some period of time, Helicon Remote says Timeout was reached while waiting for the image from the camera…

The Live View on the camera IS ON and in Helicon Remote the setting "Activate Live View upon connecting to camera" is set to Yes. Tablet still says "Live View is off"

I went into the "Support" tab on the heliconsoft.com website and clicked on “Helicon Remote related issues”. I got this blurb for Helicon Focus:

Helicon Remote related issues
If you're facing technical issues when using Helicon Focus please follow this procedure:
if you have a general question, a suggestion, or if you're having a technical issue when using Helicon Focus, please use a bug reporting tool to contact us (Help -> Report a bug on Windows and Mac; menu -> Feedback -> Report a bug on Android and menu -> Feedback on iOS). Don't forget to fill in the e-mail field in the report.

Find more answers to your questions in our FAQ - Helicon Remote

So far I have looked in all the tabs on the heliconsoft.com site and I cannot find anywhere it says "Help" much less "report a bug". HOW do I contact support directly to get the Helicon Remote software to work with this camera? It is NOT practical to attempt to enter any useful amount of information on a tablet.