Nikon D850 Pair Via iOS Version of HR

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
audimackid

Nikon D850 Pair Via iOS Version of HR

Post by audimackid »

Has anyone successfully paired the iOS version of HeliconRemote and a Nikon D850? If so, I would be interested to learn how you did it. I saw in the forum that some people have been successful using two iOS devices, such as an iPhone and an iPad, starting the WiFI connection using something like SnapBridge on one device and then connecting Helicon Remote from the second device, but I only have an iPhone. I have the latest firmware on my D850 (C v1.20), I am running iOS 15.2.1, and Helicon Remote v.4.2.3. I can successfully pair the D850 to my iPhone using SnapBridge and use SnapBridge to control the camera. I have followed the directions for connecting a Ninon camera with built-in WiFi unit or Wu-1 external unit but have not been able to pair Helicon Remote with the camera. The directions say that once you connect your mobile device to the WiFI network created by the camera, you should switch back to Helicon Remote and press “Select a camera”, at which point you should see an “Auto-detected camera” item. I never see that. If I manually add the camera and the camera’s WiFi network address, when I click on that camera in Helicon Remote it attempts to connect and then I get an error message “Error: Undefined error: 0”. I have run Helicon Remote both before (as indicated in the directions) and after connecting the iPhone to the WiFi network created by the camera, and neither approach works.
Catherine

Re: Nikon D850 Pair Via iOS Version of HR

Post by Catherine »

You do not need Snapbridge, don't use it, make sure it's not running. It might be best to temporarily uninstall it to eliminate any possibility of it interfering. Turn off anything related to Bluetooth in the camera settings, only leave Wi-Fi on. If there are multiple Wi-Fi modes available, like Smartphone and PC control - select Smartphone (regardless of whether you're actually connecting to a phone or a PC).

After that, make sure you have the latest version of Helicon Remote installed from App Store. Connect your phone to the camera's Wi-Fi network and open Helicon Remote (the order doesn't actually matter). And delete your manually added entry.

Send a bug report (menu - Feedback) if it still doesn't work (note that you need to disconnect from the camera and reconnect to your regular Wi-Fi network for this).
audimackid

Re: Nikon D850 Pair Via iOS Version of HR

Post by audimackid »

I eliminated SnapBridge from my iPhone. I am running the latest version of Helicon Remote in the App Store (v. 4.2.4).

Bluetooth is turned off in the camera. I only have WiFi on in the camera, and there is only one WiFi mode.

I eliminated the manually entered camera in Helicon Remote.

I start Helicon Remote. I turn on the WiFi in my camera. I connect my iPhone to the WiFi network from the camera. I switch back to Helicon Remote and press "Select a camera". Helicon Remote says "Camera is not connected".

I submitted a bug report.