Canon 5D IV Hangs During Shooting

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Mark Turner

Canon 5D IV Hangs During Shooting

Post by Mark Turner »

When shooting with my Canon 5D Mk IV using Helicon Remote tethered to my laptop, the camera hangs roughly halfway through a series of 29 shots. I initially thought it might be due to needing more time for the camera to write the RAW files to the CF card, so I set the "delay for flash recharge" to 6 seconds to slow things down. It still hangs after 14 of 29 frames. The red "busy" light on the back of the camera remains on for many minutes. Eventually I cancel everything by turning the camera off and removing the battery for a complete power off reset. Just turning the camera off, it displays "Recording ... Remaining Images 14."

I'm using the latest version of Helicon, downloaded and installed today. This is new software for me, so I may have missed an important setting somewhere. Any suggestions so I can get this working and climb the rest of the learning curve before photographing a job for a client?
USAntogoon

Re: Canon 5D IV Hangs During Shooting

Post by USAntogoon »

I just started using Helicon remote with my Canon 5D III and haven't experienced that problem. I didn't change any of the generic setting from the downloaded version. I did notice that no copies are saved on my CF card ..all goes to the iMac Pro.
Be sure you use a proper cord between the Camera and the Mac.Lots of these cheaper once will fail..I am suing the one which came with the camera..
Also, I am shooting in RAW and these are big files to transfer and son far the biggest one of 50 exposure went forward without any issue. May be try to set the Mark IV to jpeg recording and see what happened..There is enough data in it after rendering in Helicon Remote to do further post production in the generated .dmg file

P.S I also have a Mark IV, but haven't tried it yet.. Like to keep this Mark IV for my regular photography ..