Canon M50 Mark ii focus stepping issue

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
mcaf123

Canon M50 Mark ii focus stepping issue

Post by mcaf123 »

Hi,
Completely new to Helicon Remote, but not macro photography. I recently got myself a Canon M50 Mark ii + a Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 IS STM macro lens and downloaded the beta version of Helicon Remote (v4.2.1W).

I am able to use the auto focus button to focus on the nearest point and lock it in. However, when I try and step through to focus on the farthest point and lock that in, absolutely nothing seems to be happening - the focus just doesn't change whatsoever.
As a further test, I focused on multiple points on the object and took an individual picture of each area in focus. I was then able to successfully focus stack them in Helicon Focus.
So am I doing anything wrong or is this a bug in the beta software with this camera/lens?

Hoping for a quick resolution so I can buy this software and start using it properly! :mrgreen:
TIA
Catherine

Re: Canon M50 Mark ii focus stepping issue

Post by Catherine »

Hi,
Most likely, the problem is caused by the selected autofocus mode. Check the camera menu, make sure that only the most basic single-shot AF mode is selected. Turn off servo/continuous/AI/face-detect/tracking etc.
Switch the lens to AF if it was in MF.
davorin

Re: Canon M50 Mark ii focus stepping issue

Post by davorin »

For me it works with the M50 MK II I received today only when you:

- Set point A and B manually
- Set point A with autofocus, switch to manual focus and then set point B manually