About how long to process 70 26Mb frames?

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
boblite

About how long to process 70 26Mb frames?

Post by boblite »

I submitted 70 frames averaging about 26mb to Photoshop and it took a very long time to process. About how long would it take Helicon?
Catherine

Re: About how long to process 70 26Mb frames?

Post by Catherine »

There's no way to answer that question because image processing complexity is not measured in megabytes, and because it depends on your hardware. Why won't you download Helicon Focus and see for yourself? It's free to try. I promise that it will be at least twice faster than Photoshop. Probably more than that.
Thanos_June

Post by Thanos_June »

The software is far more faster than Photoshop.
Have used Photoshop to focus stack my images for a long time now.
It took for ever for a stack of 60 images for examples. DAYS!!

With Helicon focus the process is lightning fast.

Give your self some time to get to know the process of the software and the user adjustments needed to be done by you and you will have on your hands a great tool and tons of free time!
waldenk

Post by waldenk »

and, just adding to this somewhat old conversation…
if you are serious about focus stacking, you definitely want helicon focus vs photoshop.
i am a heavy photoshop user—for the appropriate uses and applications… and have professional creative cloud license.
PS is not in any way, however, a satisfactory solution for any kind of high-quality or large focus stacks.
also…fwiw... i know that helicon focus has one other major competitor out there…
but i’ve been extremely impressed with the quality of helicon focus…(as well as the customer support)…
i routinely do stacks of several hundred large .raw files….and get consistently outstanding results.
good luck with your work!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Thank you for your feedback, Thanos_June and waldenk! We will keep doing everything we can to keep it up and justify your high praise.

One thing to add for anyone reading this thread: if Helicon Focus seems too slow, it probably isn't working at its best. If you're unsatisfied with performance - let us know and we will investigate.
AndyHiggins

Post by AndyHiggins »

Today was my first experience of focus stacking and the Helicon Focus demo. I ambitiously took 82 photos of my wife's engagement ring (far too many as it turns out!) The DNGs from a 5D mark IV took roughly a minute to render the result on a 3yr old MacBookPro (attached). The same experiment crashed Photoshop after a long wait because it filled the 'scratch disk' while slowly trying to import each image into layers.

To compare with a smaller number of images, the results were sharper with Helicon than Photoshop too. Time is money, and the results are great, so I bought the licence.
2023-02-23 10-35-17 (B,R8,S4).jpg
(827.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Thanks for the feedback! Happy to hear you're satisfied with the results. One minutes sounds sounds good for such a stack. Make sure you enable OpenCL in the Helicon Focus Preferences - Performance, too.