Bug: RAW setting gets switched to JPG

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
David_C

Bug: RAW setting gets switched to JPG

Post by David_C »

I found a bug when working between Capture One and Helicon Remote. My camera would periodically switch from NEF to basic jpg for no apparent reason. I couldn't find any keyboard shortcuts in either program that deal with changing image quality that I might have accidentally hit. I made Capture One always hide jpgs so I would know when it happened again.

I discovered when it happens and wanted to report it. I typically setup my shot in Capture One and then set the camera to "None" so C1 disconnects from my camera and I open Helicon Remote, shoot the stack, close Helicon Remote (because I've not been able to find a way that Helicon can completely disconnect from the camera with out closing down the program), and then go back into C1 and reconnect to the camera.

I forgot to set the camera to "none" so both Helicon and C1 had access to the camera. I was in Helicon and pressed Fast Preview but the image never showed up, presumably because C1 was connected as well. Helicon was not going back to live view so I pressed Stop Shooting which also did nothing. Helicon was hung up so I had to force quit the program. This is when I finally found out why the camera is getting switched from NEF to JPG. Once back in C1 I saw that JPG's were coming into the program instead of NEF's. C1 showed that the camera was set to NEF but the camera itself showed jpg.

I'm not sure if it is Helicon Remote or Capture One that is making this happen with the camera, but something is doing it when Helicon gets force closed. Camera is a Nikon D800 and both programs are running on the current versions.
Catherine

Re: Bug: RAW setting gets switched to JPG

Post by Catherine »

Hello,
Thanks for the detailed description of the problem. This is not a bug in Helicon Remote since the problem is caused by a conflict with Capture One, and there's nothing we can do on our end to prevent this. It occurs because Fast Preview image is always taken in JPEG, Helicon Remote must switch the image format, and then because of the conflict it can't restore it back.

You can tell Helicon Remote to disconnect from the camera by clicking the button with the camera's name, and then clicking the camera to un-tick it.
David_C

Re: Bug: RAW setting gets switched to JPG

Post by David_C »

And thank you for the detailed description of the cause. It is good to know the reasoning behind this and that it's not some random settings change because of the force quit, and that makes perfect sense as to why it was happening. Also thanks for describing how to disconnect the camera, that is helpful for my workflow. Much appreciated!