Helicon Focus always hard crashes with Intel Arc A770 graphics

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
waldenk

Helicon Focus always hard crashes with Intel Arc A770 graphics

Post by waldenk »

I have found that on my new Intel Serpent Canyon NUC... Helicon Focus hard crashes 100% of the time---always---when, under Preferences > Performance i select Intel Arc A770M Graphics... but NOT if i select Intel Iris XE graphics. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this an Intel graphics card/driver bug? or a Helicon Focus bug? Obviously i'd like to take advantage of the Intel Arc card--but without crashing my system. Guidance or other experince appreciated:)

system specifics: Win11 / NUC12SNKi72 / 12th Gen Core i7 / all system drivers and Win11 updates current
Catherine

Re: Helicon Focus always hard crashes with Intel Arc A770 graphics

Post by Catherine »

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't support Intel Arc, but it absolutely shouldn't crash. It may very well be a bug in the GPU driver.
Please send a bug report (menu - Help - Contact support). Just open Helicon Focus and submit the contact form, no need to do anything else in Helicon Focus for this.
waldenk

Post by waldenk »

thank you catherine. i've submitted a pair of bug reports with full details. appreciate the support:)
waldenk

Post by waldenk »

update for anyone running Win11 with an Intel arc A770M (graphics) part.
HF now runs blazing fast on my system after i did 2 things
* ensured that the intel graphics card driver was up to date (there’ve been some well-documented issues in the tech press with this new part and the drivers that support it)
* turned -off-the image preview functionality in HF (i.e the second window that shows HF stack progress)
i’m pretty sure that bullet #2 above was the key.
i am now creating focus stacks 200-300 images deep, HF method C1 generally, with large .raw image files, in just 10-15 mins… dramatically faster than with a non-graphics card equipped system.
and contrary to my previous suspicion, HF both recognizes the graphics card, and takes advantage of the GPU’s additional processing power.
thanks, helicon team, for an outstanding product:)