HR File Location and access

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
RichJ

HR File Location and access

Post by RichJ »

I have previously been able to view files on my phone when "Copy to Computer" is set.

I have used RAW Driod and have just tried PhotoMate R#.

Neither can now access the folder Android/data/com.heliconsoft/heliconremote2/files/pictures although a file manager shows that the files are there.

Trying to access "Android" I get the message "Cant use this folder... To protect your privacy choose another folder"

In HR I have set "Folder for image" as DCIM\Camera\Helicon, but it is still saving to the default folder.

How do I change the default in HR to an accessible folder, or, make the default accessible to other apps?

Android v13 Google Pixel 4a5g HR Ver 4.3.1 (The Heliconsoft website says it is 4.3.0 for android?) Camera is Nikon D850.

Thanks

Richard
Catherine

Re: HR File Location and access

Post by Catherine »

Hello Richard,

That is the app's private folder, hence access to it is restricted. There is no simple way to get the files off, but it should be possible from a computer. It's a mistake on our end that this folder was ever selected.
But in the news versions (and you have the latest) the images should go to the specified folder. Are you certain that the files are not saved there, perhaps you confused external and internal storage?
Please send a bug report after taking a shot and we'll take a look (menu - Feedback - Report a bug).
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Catherine, no confusion (the phone does not have "external storage" (SD card)).

Yes, I can see and retrieve the files from my computer but that is useless.

I could, and need to, view the files when taken to verify that I have what I need.

Since the Android OS seems to have been changed, it seems that you need to allow users to select a usable folder.

I tried creating a new save location but it seems to have been ignored.

Richard
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

I think that I have figured this out.

Changes to the Android OS since I last used HR have resulted in some folders being locked. This includes the default HR folder.

What happens now is that an additional "permission" window is created... but it was hidden under other windows so I missed it.

I now have HR writing to an "Open" folder and RawDroid is able to read that (required to view captured images as you can't do that in HR), which also required specific permission.

Hopefully these will be "permanent" not requiring permission each time the app is opened.

Richard
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Yes, that selection is permanent (until you change it in the settings - saving - Folder for images). We have never heard about such a problem with the folder selection window not being visible, not sure how it's even possible. What's the model of your Android device?
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Catherine said:

>Yes, that selection is permanent (until you change it in the settings - saving - Folder for images).

OK, for folder selection.

> We have never heard about such a problem with the folder selection window not being visible, not sure how it's even possible. What's the model of your Android device?

Google Pixel 4a5g

Richard
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Thanks! And now I see you've already said what you phone is in the opening post, I missed that, sorry. We'll try to figure out what was wrong with the dialog not showing.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Catherine... it may have been simply that there were multiple windows open (HR and RawDroid), maybe others. This may mean it did not get forced on top of the others.

Richard