Panorama with Helicon focus

Optical microscopes + digital photography
rainerteubner

Panorama with Helicon focus

Post by rainerteubner »

Hello,

I have problems with the panorama-function in Helicon focus. Loading the pictures in Helicon focus worked well, but the rendering of the panorama resulted not in an panorama, as in ICE from Microsoft, but in a strip of pictures. The pictures to be processed were not in a square-like order, (10 rows, 10 columms) but had diffenrent numbers (8 columms, 10 columms, 12 colummns), as the objekt (a cut through an stem of an plant, Aristolochia macrophylla) war not precisely in square-format.

Kind regards

Rainer
Catherine

Re: Panorama with Helicon focus

Post by Catherine »

Hello Rainer,

Helicon Focus only supports rectangular arrangements, you need to correctly specify the number of rows and columns, and select the shooting order. You can either remove extra images to make it a rectangle, or pad with empty (e. g. black) images.
rainerteubner

Post by rainerteubner »

Hello Catherine,

thank You very much for Your answer.

The insertion of empty pictures is in my opinion not a good option, as the order of files is disturbed.
Instead of adding pictures I performed a simple test: a panorama, made out of three pictures in a single row. But this setup did not work properly, the three pictures were not properly aligned, there were horizontal differences. If I define a greater ammount of overlap, e.g. 40% horitontal overlap, the result is a catastrophe.

I fear, that I'm making a basic mistake.

I think, that I'm pampered by the confortable ICE from Microsoft.

Thank You very much for Your help.

Kind regards!

Rainer
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Is your panorama a micro panorama? With only plain horizontal shift between frames? Helicon Focus does not compensate for any geometric distortion, it's not a general-purpose panorama stitching software.
rainerteubner

Post by rainerteubner »

Hello Catherine,

my panorama is a micro-panorama, with horizontal shifts only. I wanted to photograph a horizontal cut through a three year old branch of a little tree.

Kind regards!

Rainer
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hello Rainer,

Sorry for the late reply. Could you upload your panorama for us to study? The simplest way is via our private storage.
rainerteubner

Post by rainerteubner »

Hllo Catherine,

the photos have been uploaded to your webspace, IMG_0001.jpf till Img_0047.jpg.

They show a cut (Thickness apprx. 40 Micometers) through a stem of the plant Hibiscus syriacus, stained with a mixture of Safranin (red) and Astrablue (blue). The lignified parts are red, the other parts are blue. The diameter of the cut is about 5 mm, as an objektive serverd a Carl Zeiss Planachromat 2,5.

Kind regards!

Rainer
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hello Rainer,

Thank you. And which three of these images did you use for the three in a row test that you've described earlier?
rainerteubner

Post by rainerteubner »

Hallo Catherine,

for the said test I have selected three pictures in an row, selected from the files. The selected pictures were in the proper order.

Kind regards!

Rainer
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hello Rainer,

You just need to slide the "overlapping of columns" slider until it looks roughly correct, then press Render for Helicon Focus to perform auto-alignment.
rainerteubner

Post by rainerteubner »

Hello Catherine,

thank you for your advice, now it works.

Kimd regards,

Rainer