HR-Android Focus point area

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
IV Photo H

HR-Android Focus point area

Post by IV Photo H »

is there a way to reduce the size of the focus point. To ask another way, is there a way to achieve pin point focus when using HR during landscape photography?
(I'm using a Nikon D600)
Catherine

Re: HR-Android Focus point area

Post by Catherine »

Are you talking about the autofocus function? Is it not focusing exactly where you're pointing to?
IV Photo H

Post by IV Photo H »

situation: recently I tried focusing on an object that was between to objects that were closer to the camera. The auto focus box covered all 3 and of course focused on the nearer. I tried again using manual focus but with my old eyes it was a real chore and time consuming. I thought if I could find a way to decrease the size of the auto focus field, life would be good.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I see! Use the image zoom function to see the details better and to autofocus more precisely. Tap the live view image to zoom in on that point. You can also use the pinch-zoom gesture with two fingers to adjust the zoom level. And you can perform autofocus on a zoomed-in image just as you would normally.

To assist you with manual focusing there is the "Focused" checkbox which highlights areas in focus. You can combine it with zoom. Unfortunately, though, the quality of the live view image for Nikon DSLRs is pretty bad which limits the usefulness of this function.

You can, however, use it for good effect with the "Preview" function. Zoom, autofocus and focus peaking work on the preview image as well, and you can examine every detail. Take another preview after making adjustments to verify the result.
IV Photo H

Post by IV Photo H »

Thank you. I appreciate your help very much