Sony a7 IV support and feedback

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Kereplaz

Sony a7 IV support and feedback

Post by Kereplaz »

Hello, I have been trying to use Helicon Remote with my Sony A7IV, and found that:

1. When I manage to connect via direct wifi - the whole process is slow and I cannot disable downloading RAW images. I set everything to "leave in camera" but the software downloads each images making it 20 seconds between shots which is too slow. Can this be fixed or am I missing something?

2. I can not connect the same camera via USB. I thought the cable would help with transfer speed, but the camera is no connecting via USB.

I have no problem connecting the sony proprietary imaging edge software in both ways.

I would also like to use Helicon remote with an Android device. What are the chances of my A7IV being supported on that?
Catherine

Re: Sony a7 IV support and feedback

Post by Catherine »

So it worked via Wi-Fi? We don't support Wi-Fi for Sony cameras, at least not for Sony A7R3. Apparently, Sony realized they've made a mistake and used a different principle for Wi-Fi, the one we can support.
We know it doesn't work via USB - it is detected, but downloading images doesn't work which is critical functionality. I'm amazed to hear it works via Wi-Fi. Can you please send a bug report after taking one shot (menu - Help - Report a bug)? Note that Internet connection is required to send the report, so you'll have to disconnect from the camera, but don't exit Helicon Remote before sending the report.

And yes, saving to the memory card doesn't work with A7R3, which is the model we have and can study fully, but we probably can make it work with A7R4 / A7 4.
Kereplaz

Post by Kereplaz »

After I started this thread, I switched my camera to 5ghz wifi mode (from 2.4ghz, I used direct wifi for testing, not via my router) and everything sped up 4x and this was enough to make it usable.

I attach a 75 photo image stack made automatically with the Helicon remote, Focus, with a Sony A7IV as proof.

Basically the photo triggering and focusing works, everything else does not. I have to change all settings on the camera itself, I do have a live view from the camera and focus peaking works.

The main issue at the moment is not being able to just save the raw photos in camera, and not download them each time a photo is made. Even with 5ghz direct wifi connection it takes like 5 seconds, multiply that by 75 + all the exposure time and focus changing, and making a single photo took 10 minutes (1/60s shutter speed).

Having photos saved to the card could reduce this to 4 minutes or so. If you can make only this part work, the remote becomes a legitimate tool already, even with all other settings being not operational. Access to the camera is not an issue anyway. Having it work in the same manner but with a fast USBC cable, also would be nice, because the cameras battery life extends that way, and you have much faster transfer speed than wifi.

I tried the same approach with the app on Android, but it didint work. I see that theres is no soptions in the app altogether.

If you need any more details I can describe them and/or make a video.
Attachments
2023-01-26 19-44-53 (B,R1,S1).jpg
(5.43 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Kereplaz

Post by Kereplaz »

To adress some of your comments.

1. The camera is not detected via USB. The Sony imaging edge works and detects the camera, Helicon Remote does not.

2. Downloading the photos is not a critical functionality. I can just use my card to copy photos with my fast card reader, which takes a lot less time.

3. My PC is connected to the internet via ethernet, so I dont actually have to disconnect from internet. Otherwise I wouldn't even try, because what else im gonna do for those 10 minutes? :mrgreen:

4. I can test the via router method as well, and report if it works.

5. I will send a bug report.
Kereplaz

Post by Kereplaz »

Access point mode works in the same manner. Speed is also the same when connected via 5GHZ. So a good option for home use if you don't have spare wifi for direct connection.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Thanks a lot, we're looking into the data you've sent, and we will get back to you as soon as we have improved something.

As for leaving the images on the memory card - it's not as simple as it seems. That appears to not be supported by Sony A7R3, which is the only Sony camera we have. It might be supported by A7 4, seeing that they have improved a couple things in the remote control protocol, but it will be difficult to figure out without having the camera. We'll try, though.
Kereplaz

Post by Kereplaz »

Hey, It has been almost half a year, are there any progress on the Sony A7IV support? Maybe cable support?

Id like to test out the software once again, is it possible to reset or refresh the trial period for some time?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi! I don't think anything has changed since the last time, it works via USB for most people but not for everyone (and when it doesn't work we've been unable to figure out why so far).
Sure, I'll send you a new 30-day license key in a private message - check the red notification in the upper right corner of the forum page.
oftenfacetious

Post by oftenfacetious »

I have an a7iv and am interested in the premium package- I am seeing some people can use this with access to all functions and others can't access enough to make it a worthwhile purchase. It is black friday and on sale. Does this now work w/ sony a7 iv Nov, 24, 2023
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

It doesn't work reliably, and we don't know whether it works at all. At least one person said it did work for them a while back, but recently it didn't work for anyone who tried (two or three people). You can give it a try, it costs nothing - you don't need to purchase a license first.

If you do try it, and it doesn't work, please send a bug report before you close Helicon Remote, it might help us support this camera (menu - Help - Report a bug).