Benefits of a macro rail?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
FletcherImages

Benefits of a macro rail?

Post by FletcherImages »

Hi,
I've just started using Remote and Focus a short while ago. I'm still learning, so bear with me. I've looked at the WeMacro rail. I actually have a manual rail, though I've never used it. Once I've mastered the Remote software, what benefit is the WeMacro?
You can see what I've posted on my website: www.fletcherimages.com. Almost all of the images are shot with Remote and stacked with Focus.

Thanks
Dave Fletcher
Catherine

Re: a little clarification...

Post by Catherine »

Hi David,

On using macro rails versus changing focal plane with the lens for focus stacking: the consensus seems to be that the shifting point of view that results from a macro rail is a negative factor. As long as you're satisfied with your results using just the lens, there's no reason to use a macro rail. Here's an article on this: https://www.photigy.com/school/the-best ... variation/

A macro rail is a tool for when you can't achieve the goal without it. For example, the required increment is too small. Or you want to shoot with a manual focus lens. Or you want either very precise or reproducible focus positions.