Not returning to saved Near Focus

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
itsallgoode9

Not returning to saved Near Focus

Post by itsallgoode9 »

I saw a couple other people have this issue but haven't found an answer.

Nikon d850 with TOKINA ATX-i 100mm Macro F2.8
All my focus and shooting setting are basic as I can make them--Single point focus. Single shot mode. Non Continuous Focus

1. I autofocus for the front point press A button
2. Manually set focus for the back position and press B button
3. When I try to return to the front focus position it does not return to the correct location and is out of focus (although sometimes it'll randomly work)

I saw mention that turning on and lower "limit maximum amount of continuous focus" could help but in doing that, the issue still persisted. Any thoughts?
Catherine

Re: Not returning to saved Near Focus

Post by Catherine »

Which version of Helicon Remote are you using? If the lens has a range switch, is it set to "Full range"? When pressing the <<< / >>> buttons, does the visible shift of the focal plane always correspond to what you expect, in both directions?
itsallgoode9

Post by itsallgoode9 »

I'm using the most current version but I also tested on an older version as well. and the range is set to full

What expectations exactly should I have from those bottons? It moves the focus in large steps, if that's all your asking. if there's something specific I should be looking for (a set number of steps or something) you'll have to let me know what i'm looking for.

after posting my questions, I did find a post from years ago that said that this lens (whatever the version of this lens was at the time) was not supported because it doesn't not have an internal focusing motor. Is the lack of internal focus motor the issue? If so, i'm curious why it works at all--I would assume if this was the issue that it wouldn't be able to control the lens focus at all?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

What operating system are you using?
Since the lens does move at all, it obviously has a motor for focus adjustment so that's not a problem.
What expectations exactly should I have from those bottons?
For example, short of hitting the near or far end of the lens's range, does pressing <<< and then >>>, or vice versa, always return focus to the initial starting point (at least near enough)? At both ends of the range as well as the middle?
itsallgoode9

Post by itsallgoode9 »

I'm running on mac (i forget what OS but it's on an Air M2 so it's a fairly recent version by default)

gotcha. I thought that if a lens doesn't have an internal motor it could still be autocontrolled but was done via the body not the lens, or something like that. but yeah, overall it's generally being correctly controlled with helicon, just not 100% correctly.

yeah the <<< and >>> generally work as you described. it does a pretty big jump that's close to the near and far focus when i press them.

I'll take a screen capture tonight so you can see everything i'm doing, in case you notice anything i'm not describing.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Try the older version of Helicon Remote: https://www.heliconsoft.com/downloads/H ... 3.9.11.dmg

And if that doesn't help with "LImit maximum amount of focus movement" option disabled, try turning it on again, but set the value to 15 instead of the default 75. Although I don't think that'll help as the problem is something else, but worth trying.
itsallgoode9

Post by itsallgoode9 »

tried the version you gave me as well as the limiting movement both on and off as you suggested but still no luck
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Then the problem is definitely not in the software, must be some camera settings, or maybe this lens just behaves this way.
itsallgoode9

Post by itsallgoode9 »

thanks for helping to fruitlessly troubleshoot this--and yep, just seems like it's a lens compatibility issue. I picked up a tamron 90 macro and helicon remote works perfectly with it.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Thanks for letting us know, glad to hear you're all set up now! And good to know that modern Tamron lenses behave well with remote control, they used to be problematic, but that was a long time ago.