Toggle Live View, Start to End, Misfires
Posted: 12.11.2025 00:12
1. Using Helicon Remote ver. 4.5.7 M - Registered Version.
2. Using Canon R6 II with the most up-to-date firmware as of this post.
3. Using Mac Max Studio
4. Tethered USB C to USB C Tether Tools 15' cable
5. WeMacro Rail
General Info:
I have had Helicon Focus & Remote for a few months now. I never really used the Helicon Remote. My setup was the following connect to the WeMacro via Mac Max Studio Desktop bluetooth (never had a problem). Run my rail with the WeMacro desktop app. I had an HDMI line from my R6 II to one of my monitors on my desk which was set to HDMI so i could see the live view form the camera when setting the start and endpoint. This has been my setup and it has worked great.
Now I have decided to give Helicon Remote a try. I liked the thought of the ability to control my setting on my camera from the program, without having to get up and walk to where my Macro Bench setup is if I needed to change change something. I also liked that I could run the WeMacro Rail from it as well. A few things I have noticed and maybe I am doing something wrong..?.?.?
1. The "Toggle Live View" works but it is odd. my R6II is set to C-1 for my in studio shooting, My C-1 mode has the Display Simulation "off" which means that the "live view" is on 100% of the time. I have Helicon Remote Activate Live View upon Connecting to Camera "Yes". In my simple mind my Camera is set to have live view on, and Helicon is set to show the live view. But this is not the case. When I start Helicon Remote, The live view shows up, I see what is infront of the lens, for less than a second, then my live view screen goes dark. When I go to my camera Helicon Remote changed my "display simulation form off to ExpSIM. which is not "live view" clicking the Helicon remote live toggle button does not do anything. I have to get up walk to the camera, get in the menu and go turn the camera back to display simulation to Off. I tried setting the camera to EXPSIM and then opening helicon to see if it would turn off the EXPSIM and set it to off for live view and nope that does not work. I tried setting Helicon remote to Activate Live View upon Connecting to Camera "No", and then once open clicking the button to start live view and nope that does not work as well.
So for Number 1 above it seems with the R6II that once you are up and running in Helicon, you need to go back to the camera and set your display to off. cause no matter what you have it set to Helicon will not turn it on and if it is on Helicon will turn it off and back into EXPSIM.
2. Setting the A and the B point is slow. Helicon once it moves you have to wait for the "blue line" to load before you can move it again. Unlike if you use the WeMacro program and you can hold the button down and it will move until you release it or it hits the front or back of the rail. I get it, this might be program limitation but if you are reading this do not expect to move the rail as fast as you can using the native Wemacro program.
Also, adding on to number 2 above, it does not appear that Helicon does any sort of backlash/configuration when you press the start button. I have noticed that when I use Helicon with the WeMacro that it just does not seem to run right. Maybe I am wrong.?.?. but I have been setting my A point a little further back in hopes that it will "act" like a backlash when it starts. But not ideal.
3. I have noticed a lot of misfires when using Helicon Remote. sometimes no issues, and then sometimes halfway through the stack it misfires every other photo. I have pleaenty of wait time, after my reail moves I have it set for 4 seconds before it fires again.
That all said, I have decided to do a hybrid Helicon Remote & WeMacro Program set up that one of my friends says she does because of this same issues I am having.
1. I use the WeMacro Program to control the rail and the shots.
2. Instead of HDMI to my monitor. I keep my camera tethered to tether cable, and I have Helicon remote up and running. This gives me the best view of the subject when I am moving the rail back and forth, as well as after each shot shows me a preview for about 2 seconds which is nice, and it writes the images to my external SSD too. so when I am done I do not have to go to the camera and pull a card out. The only suckie part is that I still have to get up and screw with the display setting since this program turns it off when it is plugged in. But I will deal with that given I do not have to keep taking cards in and out, and with it saving to the SSD I can look at each one as they come in. its nice to have the histogram there too. with my BenQ screen I have a lot of room for the view area.
All in all I think I would use this as a stand alone if #1 the live view could get sorted, #2 find out why my photo/rail seems to be off (backlash maybe), and #3 i could move the rail faster from A to B. but till then, I do like what my new setup in terms of controling the rail with the native wemacro program and viewing the live views to see my start and end on the Helicon and that it is saving my images to the ssd
2. Using Canon R6 II with the most up-to-date firmware as of this post.
3. Using Mac Max Studio
4. Tethered USB C to USB C Tether Tools 15' cable
5. WeMacro Rail
General Info:
I have had Helicon Focus & Remote for a few months now. I never really used the Helicon Remote. My setup was the following connect to the WeMacro via Mac Max Studio Desktop bluetooth (never had a problem). Run my rail with the WeMacro desktop app. I had an HDMI line from my R6 II to one of my monitors on my desk which was set to HDMI so i could see the live view form the camera when setting the start and endpoint. This has been my setup and it has worked great.
Now I have decided to give Helicon Remote a try. I liked the thought of the ability to control my setting on my camera from the program, without having to get up and walk to where my Macro Bench setup is if I needed to change change something. I also liked that I could run the WeMacro Rail from it as well. A few things I have noticed and maybe I am doing something wrong..?.?.?
1. The "Toggle Live View" works but it is odd. my R6II is set to C-1 for my in studio shooting, My C-1 mode has the Display Simulation "off" which means that the "live view" is on 100% of the time. I have Helicon Remote Activate Live View upon Connecting to Camera "Yes". In my simple mind my Camera is set to have live view on, and Helicon is set to show the live view. But this is not the case. When I start Helicon Remote, The live view shows up, I see what is infront of the lens, for less than a second, then my live view screen goes dark. When I go to my camera Helicon Remote changed my "display simulation form off to ExpSIM. which is not "live view" clicking the Helicon remote live toggle button does not do anything. I have to get up walk to the camera, get in the menu and go turn the camera back to display simulation to Off. I tried setting the camera to EXPSIM and then opening helicon to see if it would turn off the EXPSIM and set it to off for live view and nope that does not work. I tried setting Helicon remote to Activate Live View upon Connecting to Camera "No", and then once open clicking the button to start live view and nope that does not work as well.
So for Number 1 above it seems with the R6II that once you are up and running in Helicon, you need to go back to the camera and set your display to off. cause no matter what you have it set to Helicon will not turn it on and if it is on Helicon will turn it off and back into EXPSIM.
2. Setting the A and the B point is slow. Helicon once it moves you have to wait for the "blue line" to load before you can move it again. Unlike if you use the WeMacro program and you can hold the button down and it will move until you release it or it hits the front or back of the rail. I get it, this might be program limitation but if you are reading this do not expect to move the rail as fast as you can using the native Wemacro program.
Also, adding on to number 2 above, it does not appear that Helicon does any sort of backlash/configuration when you press the start button. I have noticed that when I use Helicon with the WeMacro that it just does not seem to run right. Maybe I am wrong.?.?. but I have been setting my A point a little further back in hopes that it will "act" like a backlash when it starts. But not ideal.
3. I have noticed a lot of misfires when using Helicon Remote. sometimes no issues, and then sometimes halfway through the stack it misfires every other photo. I have pleaenty of wait time, after my reail moves I have it set for 4 seconds before it fires again.
That all said, I have decided to do a hybrid Helicon Remote & WeMacro Program set up that one of my friends says she does because of this same issues I am having.
1. I use the WeMacro Program to control the rail and the shots.
2. Instead of HDMI to my monitor. I keep my camera tethered to tether cable, and I have Helicon remote up and running. This gives me the best view of the subject when I am moving the rail back and forth, as well as after each shot shows me a preview for about 2 seconds which is nice, and it writes the images to my external SSD too. so when I am done I do not have to go to the camera and pull a card out. The only suckie part is that I still have to get up and screw with the display setting since this program turns it off when it is plugged in. But I will deal with that given I do not have to keep taking cards in and out, and with it saving to the SSD I can look at each one as they come in. its nice to have the histogram there too. with my BenQ screen I have a lot of room for the view area.
All in all I think I would use this as a stand alone if #1 the live view could get sorted, #2 find out why my photo/rail seems to be off (backlash maybe), and #3 i could move the rail faster from A to B. but till then, I do like what my new setup in terms of controling the rail with the native wemacro program and viewing the live views to see my start and end on the Helicon and that it is saving my images to the ssd