Page 1 of 1
Nodal Ninja MECHA and Helicon Remote
Posted: 05.05.2026 20:26
by RockvilleBob
Is there a way to use Helicon Remote for bracketing with the Nodal Ninja Mecha. I feel 7 brackets at 2EV is what I need for high contrast scenes in places like churches when I am shooting 360x180 panos for virtual tours. Prior to getting the Nonal Ninja MECHA robotic pano head I used Helicon Remote. Switching to the Nodal Ninja MECHA means I need to use the shutter release of the MECHA (USB) to trigger the shutter. For some odd ball reason NIKON cripples their automated bracketing by limiting the EV beyond 5 brackets to 1 EV. Just using Nikon means I need to shoot 5 brackets at 3EV which I find unacceptable or go to 5 brackets at 2 EV and cut off some highlights or shadows. If I could trigger Helicon Remote via the USB shutter cable on the MECHA all would be solved. I realize this is a "odd ball" request but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Nodal Ninja MECHA and Helicon Remote
Posted: 05.05.2026 21:16
by Catherine
Maybe you can write a script that triggers the Mecha and then Helicon Remote in the correct sequence?
Re: Nodal Ninja MECHA and Helicon Remote
Posted: 05.05.2026 23:21
by RockvilleBob
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I hope all is well with your and others at Helicon Soft.
The Nodal Ninja MECHA, a robotic pano head, uses a web application to set parameters. There is a shutter release cable (USB) that triggers the camera.I did send a request to Nodal Ninja, MECHA manufacturer, to see if it is possible to trigger the Helicon Remote to take pictures. I have not heard back from them.
Re: Nodal Ninja MECHA and Helicon Remote
Posted: 05.05.2026 23:40
by Catherine
I don't think there's anything they could even do about it, but you can make a script that will interact with their web application and then with Helicon Remote to trigger shooting (send the keyboard hotkey). Do not connect the camera to the Mecha, connect it to Helicon Remote. This is assuming that it is possible to move the Mecha through the provided web app. Triggering capture in Helicon Remote with a script is the easiest part.
Re: Nodal Ninja MECHA and Helicon Remote
Posted: 06.05.2026 03:49
by RockvilleBob
Hi Catherine.
I got an email from Nick who own Nodal Ninja, the leading company of panorama head
https://www.nodalninja.com/#top_c
Their MECHA is a robotic head. I have Helicon Remote for my WeMacro rail. I know it also works with StopShot. Nick said there are several ways to control the MECHA he sent this email below. There may be as many MECHA devices as WeMacro and other macro rail? it is very popular. While adding the MECHA to Helicon Remote might not be an immediate solution it would certainly be well received as a platform to control the camera function (focus, exposure, bracketing, etc) as well as the robotic panorama head. Here's Nick's email:
Sorry, I have no idea. Maybe you can suggest the software author to supportĀ MECHA, we have an interface for third party control.
https://forum.nodalninja.com/forum/prod ... -interface
USB control is also available.
Thanks for your help.