Anyone Running on a Netbook?

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
Jeff W

Anyone Running on a Netbook?

Post by Jeff W »

I am considering purchasing a netbook to run Helicon Remote. Has anyone tried this? If yes, please share your experience.

The netbooks I am looking at have the Intel Atom N450 processor, 1GB of RAM, 160 GB HD, Windows 7 Starter. I have been running Helicon Remote and Focus on my desktop with great success in macro photos (Nikon D90) and want to create a portable setup on something lighter than my 8 pound laptop.

thanks
Jeff W

Re: Anyone Running on a Netbook?

Post by Jeff W »

I can answer my own question here (partly). I visited a Staples store tonight and their display of netbooks included a toshiba mini NB305 - Atom N450 processor, 1GB of RAM, 160 GB HD, Windows 7 Starter. It was hooked up to the store wireless network so I downloaded Focus (5.0.11) and installed both Focus and Remote. I was able to launch Helicon Remote beta (1.15) but I did not have my camera with me so I was not able to test the connection (maybe next visit). I am more interested in running Remote on the netbook than Focus so making sure the camera (Nikon D90) control works is key.

I launched Focus and was able to process the stack of moth eggs that come with the download. So there you have it.

Working on the 10.1 inch screen may present some issues. When I clicked on the Preferences tab in Remote, the buttons for "Ok" and "Cancel" were nearly off the bottom of the screen but was ble to click on the sliver of button and get the window to close.

I think the Windows 7 starter version does not allow the icon bar in the bottom of the Windows screen to be moved - if it could, there would be plenty of room. Maybe you have to upgrade to Windows Home Premium to be able to modify the position? Thats another $75 or $80 bucks.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for the info. We already optimized Helicon Remote to fit into 1024x600 resolution but it looks like we need to squeeze it once again. We will do this in the coming version. Please keep us informed about your experience on a netbook.
Hugues Plisson

Post by Hugues Plisson »

Hello,

I have not installed Helicon Focus in my Samsung NC10 neetbook, but I had the problem of screen size not compatible with the Canon Digital Photo Professional software. This can be easily solved by putting your screen into 1024x768 scrolling mode:

Open properties on desktop > settings tab > advanced > monitor tab> clear box "hide modes this monitor cannot display" > click intel tab > graphics properties > display settings > select 1024x768

Or, with screen copy, but in french (sorry): http://www.blogeee.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6455

Another possible solution without scrolling that I didn't test: http://cegeekbook.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... 68-or.html

Good luck ! :)
samba_axe

Post by samba_axe »

Hello there, in answer to your question.... I am running Helicon Remote on a Samsung NC10 Netbook. Installation was no real problem although I may have used the fake screen sizing to make it happen... I can not remember. Either way, it runs in normal resolution just fine and works like a charm. I just shot several hundred test shots a few days ago. Very portable and works like a charm. By the way Helicon Team... Helicon remote is a dream. I was trying to use Magic Lantern but it is too buggy. Remote does the trick. Thank you!
If you have a question on using Remote with a little Samsung Netbook, please contact me.
samba_axe@hotmail.com
samba_axe

Post by samba_axe »

By the way, my Samsung is running XP. I think anything higher than that will be unusable due to lack of power and RAM. Either way, it works fine on a Sammy NC10 with XP
Jeff W

Post by Jeff W »

I ended up purchasing the Toshiba NB305 and can happily report that Helicon Remote runs great under the Windows 7 Starter edition and controls my Nikon D90 without problems. I took my mobile setup into the field for some macro nature stacks and I'm pleased with the initial results. The main difference between working in a studio and out in the elements is movement of the subject. It seemed to be a windless still day and for practice I composed a macro shot of a single blade of grass growing through a leaf. I created a stack of 30 images - everything but the blade of grass was in sharp focus - so even though I could not perceive movement, the blade of grass had a faint halo around it (I assume this is from movement).

I also have discovered that if I run smaller stacks, then save them, then run stacks of stacks, I get good results (assuming no movement of subject). For example - in the 30 image stack above, I stacked 1 thru 7, then 8 thru 15, then 16 thru 23, then 24 thru 30. I then stacked the 4 resuting images into one final stack. Is this a common technique?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for feedback with the netbook, what resolution has it?

Stack of stacks: I do not think this is common technique. Theoretically there should not be any difference, but...

I would appreciate if you upload source images (jpegs) and your result to our server (as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp.html). We will test your images if this method has a potential.
Jeff W

Post by Jeff W »

The resolution on the netbook is 1024 x 600 and Helicon Remote 1.16 Beta fits the screen.

Regarding stacks of stacks. I reviewed my previous work and realized when I ran the complete stack I used method A (and enderd up with halo effects). When I ran stacks of stacks I used method B (no halo effect). I went back and ran the entire stack using method B and did not see a major difference between stacks of stacks and one stack. I will continue to try stacks of stacks and if I see any differences, I'll post again and upload the files.

thanks
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for checking this. There should not be any improvement from stack of stacks technology.