error on saving image

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
jimshirey

error on saving image

Post by jimshirey »

i keep getting the message:

"error on saving image <filename> Access violation at address 00AEA186 in module PolyImagePro.dll. Read of address 00000004."

normally i ignore it and it doesn't seem to make any difference. but today it crashed the computer, last time this happened i just reloaded the software and it didn't happen again until recently. since then i make sure to restart my computer in between stacks.

i am using XP service pack 3, loading stacks of 12 to 80 canon raw files, about 20 mpx each.

any ideas?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: error on saving image

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We get similar reports when saving results in TIFF format with LZW compression. Is this your case?
jimshirey

Post by jimshirey »

i am using the "TIF" format option when i save the hf output, not "TIF LZW." would it be better to use the "psd" format option?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We were able to reproduce bug with TIFF LZW but not with uncomressed TIFF. Saving PSD is also lossless and produces the files of similar size. You can use it as well.
jimshirey

Post by jimshirey »

i'll try the psd, though the tif would better suit my purposes. however, in my last run the tif i got was a very tiny file, completely useless, and i had to start from the beginning. this seems to happen only when i stack the raw files, not when i stack the jpgs. but i only had about a dozen files in the stack. could this be a problem with limited ram?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Most probably this happens because RAW files were not converted correctly. If the program is not able to read RAW file, it opens a small thumbnail image inside of it. Helicon Focus (win version) has several raw converters (see Preferences/RAW) I would recommend to try different one. You can also convert raw files to tiffs and process tiffs. If you call Helicon Focus from Lightroom, this convertion is done automatically.