Stackshot Macro Rail

Shooting in macro mode, techniques, tips & tricks
FriedV

Stackshot Macro Rail

Post by FriedV »

How does HR distinguis between the control of the macro rail and the control of the camera lens, when both are connected via USB?
Is there a switch somewhere I have missed?
Thx, Friedrich
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Stackshot Macro Rail

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Currently there is no switch. The rail has priority, whenever it is detected it will be used for moving focus. If you want to move camera lens - disconnect the rail.

Post by Guest »

Thanks very much! I like to work with your fine software!
Friedrich
bernynhel

Post by bernynhel »

So with a Canon MP-E 65, I can manually focus the first shot, then Remote will work with the rail to set up the shots? If so, even though the MP-E 65 is an all manual lens, will Remote be able to determine depth of field, and other parameters needed? Thanks.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It will move focus plane by physically moving the camera, but DOF calculator will not work with the rail. It is impossible to obtain meaningful result for rails at the moment, and is very hard in principle.
bernynhel

Post by bernynhel »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:...It is impossible to obtain meaningful result for rails at the moment, and is very hard in principle.
Is that conclusion limited to my specific example of a manual focus lens and rail with Focus software or does it apply for any use of a rail with the Focus software, including with auto focus lenses?

Thanks.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

DOF calculator only works when you use a lens for moving focus point. It should be disabled with Stackshot to avoid confusion, we'll do it for the next version. You can use hyperfocal distance calculator to calculate DOF in millimeters. Then you can go to Settings -> Stackshot and set step size to, say, 1 mm. Now you can use the number obtained with hyperfocal distance calculator to set the appropriate interval between shots. For example, you've calculated DOF to be 5 mm at closest point, and you've set 1 mm step size in the settings. Then you should set interval between shots to 5 steps, which will result in 5 mm.
bernynhel

Post by bernynhel »

Thanks.