Which OTG cable D7000 and Nexus 7 II HR

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Post Reply
Mr Moose
Posts: 5
Joined: 19.09.2013 17:59

Which OTG cable D7000 and Nexus 7 II HR

Post by Mr Moose »

Which OTG cable for a Nikon D7000 and the New Nexus 7 for use with Helicon Remote?
I did search, but didn't find a definitive answer.
User avatar
Stas Yatsenko
Posts: 3833
Joined: 06.05.2009 15:05
Contact:

Re: Which OTG cable D7000 and Nexus 7 II HR

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You need an OTg adapter. It's a pretty specifc name, so I'm not sure what you're asking. You can test your adapter by connecting a USB mouse instead of the camera.

Keep in mind that there is a firmware bug in the new Nexus tablets that prevent them from detecting digital cameras (and some other USB devices) if user interface language is not English: http://nexususb.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/android-4.html
Mr Moose
Posts: 5
Joined: 19.09.2013 17:59

Re: Which OTG cable D7000 and Nexus 7 II HR

Post by Mr Moose »

Has anyone else successfully used Helicon remote with a Nexus 7 (2013) and a Nikon D7000? If so, what did you use?
I found this, it worked for some, didn't for others.

SANOXY USB 2.0 A Female to Micro B Male Adapter Cable Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable

When I first found this web site, and watched the video about Helicon Remote software on a tablet, it sure looked compelling, good sales job, sure made me bite. Now it seems its not so easy.











Stas Yatsenko wrote:You need an OTg adapter. It's a pretty specifc name, so I'm not sure what you're asking. You can test your adapter by connecting a USB mouse instead of the camera.

Keep in mind that there is a firmware bug in the new Nexus tablets that prevent them from detecting digital cameras (and some other USB devices) if user interface language is not English: http://nexususb.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/android-4.html
User avatar
Stas Yatsenko
Posts: 3833
Joined: 06.05.2009 15:05
Contact:

Re: Which OTG cable D7000 and Nexus 7 II HR

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The new Nexus has a firmware bug, there already are a couple topics about this on the forum. See our answer here: http://www.heliconsoft.com/forum/viewto ... f=5&t=6034
multizone
Posts: 14
Joined: 02.08.2012 19:07

Re: Which OTG cable D7000 and Nexus 7 II HR

Post by multizone »

Mr Moose wrote: Now it seems its not so easy.
In spite of my recent posting ( a bracketing issue ), it generally is easy. Once you find the right combination - and this is an issue of the Android world being difficult to navigate, not HR - everything just works.
Mr Moose
Posts: 5
Joined: 19.09.2013 17:59

Re: Which OTG cable D7000 and Nexus 7 II HR, Problem solved

Post by Mr Moose »

Problem Solved

I received my SANOXY USB 2.0 A Female to Micro B Male Adapter Cable Micro USB Host Mode OTG Cable.
This adapter works well with my Nikon D7000 and the Nexus 7 (2013) , but, you have to start the camera first.
I connect the camera to the tablet, turn the camera on, Helicon Remote recognizes the D7000 and starts up, then shows the D7000 active.
The adapter it self seems a bit fragile as the connector sticks out from the tablet more than it needs to, and it has dropped out on me a few times. But over all, everything works, and I'm making pictures.
I hope this helps anyone who has a D7000, and doesn't want a reply from HR that says " I don't know what your asking" sorry HR, but that response wasn't helpful, more like trying to dodge the question.

BTW, if asked by the app to disable anything in the tablet, DON'T DO IT, I disabled my gallery on my Nexus 7 and had to do a factory reset to get it back.
I've ordered a 10 meter active USB2 cable, I'll report back to let anyone know how its works.
Since I received my Nexus 7 on 9-20-13 I did get, and install a update for my Nexus 7 (2013) So maybe they fixed some things.
multizone
Posts: 14
Joined: 02.08.2012 19:07

Re: Which OTG cable D7000 and Nexus 7 II HR, Problem solved

Post by multizone »

Mr Moose wrote: BTW, if asked by the app to disable anything in the tablet, DON'T DO IT, I disabled my gallery on my Nexus 7 and had to do a factory reset to get it back.
That's bizarre. Doing a Force Stop on an app should have zero effect on the tablet. I Force Stop my gallery regularly, no problem - and if the gallery is running, it will fight with HR for control of the camera, so it has to be stopped.
User avatar
Stas Yatsenko
Posts: 3833
Joined: 06.05.2009 15:05
Contact:

Re: Which OTG cable D7000 and Nexus 7 II HR

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

multizone has a point, stopping an app doesn't do anything permanent. You might have clicked something else, or done something else which you didn't realize to have such an effect (like clearing defaults for Gallery, but surely you don't have to do factory reset to restore that either). And there's a very good reason Remote and Gallery shouldn't be running at the same time.

P. S. I don't believe we have ever given a reply like "I don't know what you're asking" without further inquiries for clarification. "Your question has no answer" or "We don't know the answer" is as far as we can go in not being helpful.
Mr Moose
Posts: 5
Joined: 19.09.2013 17:59

Re: Which OTG cable D7000 and Nexus 7 II HR

Post by Mr Moose »

Stas,
I really appreciate your help, please disregard my last paragraph, as my intent may have been confusing :)
The OTG cable I listed worked, HR did give me a warning before I disabled my tablets Gallery, more or less tried to tell me not to do it, but it all works now.
The active 10m USB2 cable didn't work, I sent it back.
To bad there's no affordable way to use WiFi with my D7000.
So now I need to do testing so HR and my tablet can be a new tool, and be part of my work flow. :D
User avatar
Stas Yatsenko
Posts: 3833
Joined: 06.05.2009 15:05
Contact:

Re: Which OTG cable D7000 and Nexus 7 II HR

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Did the cable not work at all or only with the tablet? Did you test it with a PC?
gertbosman55

Re: Which OTG cable D7000 and Nexus 7 II HR

Post by gertbosman55 »

I used the same connection on my smartphone Samsung Galaxy S 4, without any problem
Post Reply